1948 - Köping S8

hydguy

Registered
Registered
So, a couple of months ago I decided to buy an old Köpping S8.
The lathe was situated about 350 kilometers (220ish miles) away, so transport was an issue.

Ended up renting a trailer and driving down to get it myself, with some assistanse from my father I might add.

The S8 is old, but has seen litle use. The owner had bought it in the seventies, and not really used it much. Before that, it was used as a tool room lathe.
Mecanically it is seemingly in very god condition, with litle wear.
It was however very dirty, and coated in tectyle.
The paint is flaking and falling off..

The included tooling includes: two steady rests, a following rest, one independent 4-jaw, two 3-jaw, and one 4-jaw scroll chucks.
Two 5MT live centers, one dead center, dogplate, misc tool holders, 32mm (1 1/4") boring bar, a tiny drill chuck +++

image.jpg image.jpg

Congratulations with your new/old lathe! I have a student type Torshalla SV150 and was actually looking at a similar lathe. I did not rent a truck though…just used my car with trailer to pick up my lathe.

I have more or less completely disassembled my lathe for cleaning. I have considered some rescraping but might be sufficient with just the cleaning and painting.

Looking forward to follow your progress with this lathe!

Bjorn

du har en fin maskin. takk for å dele bilder av din vakre dreiebenk. Jeg ønsker deg fortsatt lykke!

i wish i could speak Norsk. the message was translated.

some of my ancestors came from Norway on my mother's side.
I have always wanted to go there and see it for myself.

vær så snill, vis oss bilder når du kan!

good bye for nå.
mike:))

Thanks for the comments, both English and Norwegian.

Ulma D, do you know where in Norway your ancestors came from?

Regarding the lathe, I have started work on it.
The plan is to do a light restoration, fix the paint, and do a thorough cleaning.
I have pulled the apron, carriage, cross slide and compound of, and done a good cleaning of them.
Seems to be in good condition as far as I can tell by now. Will find out once it is back together I guess.

I have also started stripping the old paint of, this of course is a big job, and takes a lot of time.
I hate painting, but it has to be done.. Hopefully it will look better than it was (but I am not sure:talktogod:)

The electrical "system" if one could call it that, was probable original. The isolation on the cables crumbled and fell off when I tried bending them.. So it all has to be changed out.
The motor has been used as food storage for mice, and was full of "food" in the sense of misc. grain types.
It does not look like the winding's have been damaged though..

The plan is to have it running by Christmas.

Here are a few more pictures:
IMG_0776.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0777.JPG IMG_0784.JPG

Thanks for the comments, both English and Norwegian.

Ulma D, do you know where in Norway your ancestors came from?

Hi Hydguy,
i'm sorry i don't know where in Norway they came from.
i should call my mother and see if she knows . we had many conversations over the years about ancestry.
thank you for the idea!

i look forward to seeing the progress in the restoration of your lathe.
til neste gang
good bye frakt

I actually have some relatives in Canada.. Probably in the states as well..

Just thought i'd post some more photos of the lathe, as well as a question regarding a tool I'm not sure what is:

The apron after a lick of paint.
IMG_0845.JPG
Tail stock, morse taper #5
IMG_0846.JPG
Paint removal, masking and painting.
IMG_0842.JPG
One of the two MT#5 live centers after a light clean-up
IMG_0847.JPG

Does anyone know what this is?
It has a #5 Morse taper, and a rectangular slot on the end.
IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0848.JPG

I believe what you have is a reamer toolholder of the old type. I got a bunch with an old lathe and have since gotten rid of them, except for this reamer tool which mounts on the arbor...

IMGP0949800x600_zpse581b1d9.jpg

IMGP0950800x600_zpsed2bacb3.jpg

IMGP0951800x600_zpsbd8c8b84.jpg

A steel pin is driven through the slot in the arbor, engaging the slots in the reamer. I can't recall what keeps the reamer from moving forward, but I think that is what you have...

Cheers... :)

Brian

Interesting sugestion..
I'm not sure how that would work though... What would keep the reamer from being pushed forward/back?

What I forgot to mention is that it has a square head bolt on the end.
The bolt goes through and into the rectangular slot..

My best guess, is that it could be used for a boring bar.. Either in the tailstock, or mounted in the spindle.. The work would have to be bolted to the carriage if it was to be used in the spindle...
Can't see why the slot is rectangullar and not square though?

i would agree that's it's probably a boring tool holder, the rectangular hole is a bit of a mystery though.

Back