1947 Buick Roadmaster clock

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Been seeing this clock sitting in a cabinet at an antique mall, for a few years now, and now I bought it. No idea of it runs but will check it out over the next few days.
Pierre

Attachments

• 0F1EEE9A-E051-4EE5-82A1-D1A6A6056A05.jpeg
    0F1EEE9A-E051-4EE5-82A1-D1A6A6056A05.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 41
The right person would appreciate having it. Having looked for part to restore a car. The right person would appreciate it.

Sitting on a shelf was a sad thing to see. That was one reason I picked it up. There are a few on the online auction sites at the moment. Later I will post on another site, where it will likely be seen by more, and maybe some one will need it.

I'm now really curious as to what the movement is in it. I'd have to assume it's electro-mechanical, but It's got to predate quartz movements. That'd make a hell of a cool desk clock.

Yes, it is Electro-mechanical. The clock is like most spring wound clocks, but with a solenoid that cycles every few minutes. The solenoid moves an arm to wind the spring. Electrical power is through a set of points and it draws a fair bit of power. As the arm swings towards the electro-magnet pole, the arm also opens the points. This stops the flow of electricity until the arm swings back to the rest position and closes the points for the next pulse. Made by Geo. W. Borg Company of Chicago.

I had to do a small repair to the time setting stem, and the clock is put aside for a day or so. Once it is ready to run, I will try to take a video of it.
Pierre

If it's inoperable, you could probably change the clock mechanism to something more modern and battery operated. Here are two I made from the instrument clusters of a '54 Chevrolet 3100 pick-up. I fabricated an odometer reading to my birth date: 4/14/49.

Regards

P.S.: If you don't want it, let me know. I would likely be a candidate for it.

IMG_1071.JPGIMG_1463.JPG

Disregard the P.S. I just realized from your subsequent post that you apparently bought it.

Regards

Here are a few photos of the interior mechanism and a link to a YouTube video I posted showing the electrical part in action.

Pierre
88CCE059-EFD8-448F-A1F3-A6D6A651D691.jpegA7BEA798-8F1E-48FA-B805-8CF9C71299F9.jpeg567B2091-5FE0-4218-958E-0E0F5729AE99.jpeg

Reactions: tjb
Back