1940 Ford Deluxe

Very nice, Bear!

I've been partial to the '40 Fords myself. My first street rod was a '40 Opera Coupe. Back in those days, I didn't take enough pictures, but here's a photo. Wish I still had that one.

1940fordoperacoupe.jpg

Regards

I've found an issue with the car... before I bought it, the seller told me that it would need a new battery, the one in the car was getting weak.

I've discovered that the battery is fine... but the charging system is not charging like it should... this morning my father came out to see if we could figure out why. It didn't take long to find a loose connection where the 'field' wire connects to the generator... I snugged it up and it is working fine now. I like simple fixes...

I started going over the car, just seeing what is good and what is not so good. All of the glass is original Ford, and all pieces show some delaminating around the edges. The worst pane is the passenger side front vent window...

20230522_101817.jpg

I'll have to replace it pretty quick, it's bad enough to be a potential safety problem. The rest of the panes I'll replace as I get time... and as they start bothering me.

There is a tool storage area under the trunk floor mat. I opened it up and picked through what was in there... there was a screw jack...

20230522_093659.jpg

A hand crank for the engine, lug wrench, tire iron, crank handle for the jack, some type of ratcheting jack that appears to be incomplete...

20230522_093724.jpg

...and an original tool kit...

20230522_093751.jpg

...with an assortment of tools, most with the Ford logo on them.

20230522_093839.jpg

There was also a spare hubcap stuffed in the storage area.

I'll need to change the engine oil before driving it, and the seller recommended that I change the transmission oil soon, so I'll do that, also.

The car has aftermarket turn signals added to it. The turn signal lights are small bullet lights...

20230522_103217.jpg

The lights look nice, but are way too small to be very effective, so I'll be looking for an alternative. I'd hate to give anyone an excuse to run into my car...

I'm very happy with the car... I've waited 30-something years to own a '40... I think I have a nice one.

-Bear

I almost was run into by inattentive drivers as well. I used some motorcycle rear light kits. Used one for RH and another for LH. It does brake and signals and is higher than at the bumper area where people are not looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_4729.MOV
    6.2 MB
  • CE2A07F5-A2D2-46F1-B754-F31D89F7557A.jpeg
    CE2A07F5-A2D2-46F1-B754-F31D89F7557A.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 14
I almost was run into by inattentive drivers as well. I used some motorcycle rear light kits. Used one for RH and another for LH. It does brake and signals and is higher than at the bumper area where people are not looking at.

I like that idea! I'll have to see if I can find some of those... I'm assuming they wire directly into the turn signal circuit?

-Bear

The ones for the back of pick up trucks are too wide so these worked nicely. I used some tin to make a u-shaped channel and they glue in place.
Yes. I wired them in at a convenient point. Just had to run a 4 conductor from under the dash to behind the seat. Grounded the lights on the back sheet metal.
Found them on Amazon.
Tons of sellers with similar set ups for sale. Here is the first hit.

Last edited:
Will those work with 6V system? Mike

Back