1922 9'' South Bend O Series

Good luck, like I said, i tried to order more things from them and found out the guy passed away and no one was running his business.

I hope beings the site is still up that someone has taken over and selling castings.

Since the website is still up I took a chance and emailed them using the link on the site.
They replied that they are waiting for a shipment from the foundry but will contact me when it is in stock again.
I'll probably order the steady rest casting too!
Quinn of Blondihacks put together the die filler kit and was impressed with the castings and the documentation

The A B and C designations refer to the gearbox or change gear setup. An A had a gearbox and a C had change gears. I don't recall what a B was off the top of my head.

It's barely relevant if at all, but in case it is.....

A models have a quick change gear box, half nut feed, a friction clutch feed, and power cross slide.
B models have change gears, half nut feed, a friction clutch feed, and power cross slide.
C models have change gears and half nut feed only.

And to go further, an O series that had change gears and half nuts only was called the junior.

That's why I don't call mine a junior even though most folks call all the old O series juniors.

Since the website is still up I took a chance and emailed them using the link on the site.
They replied that they are waiting for a shipment from the foundry but will contact me when it is in stock again.
I'll probably order the steady rest casting too!
Quinn of Blondihacks put together the die filler kit and was impressed with the castings and the documentation
Can you please let us know when they contact you back with stock?

Thanks.

Hi guys, new member here but long time in the hobby.

I thought I'd share some pictures of my 1922 South Bend O Series that I got over 20 years ago.

Here it is when I first got it after starting the cleanup process.
View attachment 459245
View attachment 459248

And finished
View attachment 459246

After 20 years it does not look as nice but it still preforms very well. These 9'' O series lathes (often called Junior) use the same bed width as the later Heavy 10 so you can find things like carriage stops or steady rests for a heavy 10 and they fit the O series perfectly.

This machine shows no wear on the ways and does about as good as you can expect for a small lathe that is built very heavy. It has power feeds, and I was lucky to find a complete change gear set for it in near mint condition.

I mainly joined this site to find info on my new to me Grizzly 1237g lathe but I thought I'd stop in here and share some pics of the old girl that got me hooked on home/hobby machining.
That is beautiful...

Back