16x72 Southbend Lathe Restoration

mb6388

Registered
Registered
HELLO ALL
This is my first southbend lathe restoration
first does anyone know the frame size of the original motor mine has a adapter plate someone made for a different motor also the lower cone pulley bearings have seen better days and the numbers can't be read

IMG_0568.JPG

Welcome to the site!
You will find many people here with SouthBend knowledge.

does anyone know the frame size of the original motor

Do you know the year of manufacture and/or model number?
I am not sure if the motors changed over the years, but that may spur someone with the same model to go and get a picture of theirs.

There is also a SouthBend downloads section here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/south-bend.34/
with many manuals and technical bulletins.

-brino

Looks like a good project. I really enjoy mine. I don't have the motor information you need as mine was also changed to a newer style baldor motor. I do remember some having two speed motors.

Good looking lathe. Pretty snappy paint job. Mike

MY 9A CAME WITH A 3 PHASE MOTOR AND I CHANGED IT TO A 115 AND HAD TO MAKE AN ADAPTER PLATE FOR IT TO WORK AND MAYBE THATS WHY IT IS DIFFERENT AND MY PULLEY I.D. WAS DIFRFERENT ALSO.
PAUL

thanks guys i found the bearings 50 bucks apiece as far as the motor no one makes the original frame anymore so I'm just going to test the motor before i install it
and hook up the VFD
I have the lathe tore down to strip the 10 layers of paint off for a nice new paint job no more blue and yellow
I'm pretty sure the year is 1945 from the serial # 166271

IMG_0628.jpg IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0624.jpg

According to here:
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html
that one would have been shipped in 1941.

Notes on the serial number 116300 say it was also marked J.A.N.

From the looks of the pics, that lathe has found a new home with some other nice tools.
Congrats!
-brino

If you haven't bought the replacement bearings already you could measure the old ones in this order: inside diameter, outside diameter, and width by metric measurments or inches. Then do an internet search using those measurements like "ID x OD x W bearing" and you may be surprised by the acceptable replacement bearings that may save you money. Search using both types of measurents for the most results. If you already know the numbers of those replacement bearings you can search that bearing for its dimensions and then use those same dimensions for finding an "equivalent bearing"......hopefully at a more reasonable price. Unless they are some really special bearings.

On the bearings, I buy a lot of KBC bearings from Accurate Bearing Co in Chicago. Actually have an order pending now for some 16 in south bend cross feed thrust bearings. If your interested in price let me know hopefully today. I could add them to my order and have them shipped to you. I think you'd be looking at about $20 each based on what I know about motor bearings. Dimensions would be best. Have used thousands of KBC bearings and never had a failure. My 16 has a 3 phase 2 speed motor, if your still looking for motor info let me know and I will get it for you.

Tim

Back