16 speeds? What am I missing?

Thanks Mr. Bob just sometimes I feel dumb when the answer I know has to be right in front of me and I can't see it.
It is a single phase 220 motorw ith two speed charts listed both show 16 speeds. one has the number 50 with a symbol of two triagles on their sides with the tops facing one another with the speeds listed below the other has the number 60 withe the same symbol with 16 speeds listed under it also. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture

The 50 is for 50 cycle electricity like what is found in Europe and possibly Canada. The 60 if for 60 cycle AC that we have in the States. The rpm changes due to the cycles. Same thing happens when using a VFD, the frequency is changed to change the speed of the motor.
Mike

Well I have 8 speeds as noted above on a single phase motor. Just had to make a few phone calls. Sure would have helped if a 16 speed label was not staring me in the face. Thanks again for all the input!

What that probably is is a tag they put on machines with 2 pole motors as well as 4 pole. 2 pole motors are twice as fast, hence the higher range. There are two speed motors, but I have never seen one on a bp. You just need to know which motor you have to determine which side of the chart to use. You only have 8 speeds, unless you do indeed have a 2 speed motor. 4 pole is what you probably have in the case of an original motor. The lower range would be what you have in that case.

The 50 is for 50 cycle electricity like what is found in Europe and possibly Canada.
Mike

Canada has been part of the North American power grid since the beginning. We had 25 cycle until shortly after WW2, when the grid converted to 60 Hz. There was still some 25 available until recently for industrial users.

There has been many different Hz used over the last 120 years. It is quite fascinating to read the history of AC power since Testa and Westinghouse started working on it.

http://www.teslasociety.com/exhibition.htm

Back