5440 2720
3500 1750
2220 1110
1320 660
650 325
420 210
270 135
160 80

I have 4 pulleys and high and low speeds. I only see 8 speeds. What am I missing? My book has nothing about speed selection. Sorry for such a dumb question but I'm over looking something.

Backgear. On the top of the head in front of the spindle should be a lever attached to a collar with a slot, pushing it to the right disengages the pulley from the spindle, on the right toward the rear is a small lever that when the knob is pulled will rotate 180* and engage the backgear. Note I haven't looked up your machine but most step pulley Bridgeport clones works this way. I'd do a quick YouTube search foe something like j head backgear.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I should also say, be sure everything engages before hitting the power or you will hear some horribe noises.

I have a Birmingham mill X6323A. Chart says 16 speeds:

2P 4P
5440 2720
3500 1750
2220 1110
1320 660
650 325
420 210
270 135
160 80

I have 4 pulleys and high and low speeds. I only see 8 speeds. What am I missing? My book has nothing about speed selection. Sorry for such a dumb question but I'm over looking something.

Backgear. On the top of the head in front of the spindle should be a lever attached to a collar with a slot, pushing it to the right disengages the pulley from the spindle, on the right toward the rear is a small lever that when the knob is pulled will rotate 180* and engage the backgear. Note I haven't looked up your machine but most step pulley Bridgeport clones works this way. I'd do a quick YouTube search foe something like j head backgear.

Here ya go. Mr. Pete covers it nicely. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7oB7B_eJi6A

I should also say, be sure everything engages before hitting the power or you will hear some horribe noises.

It is always a good idea to turn the pulley by hand to make sure the gears are messing otherwise there will be a loud noise. Sometimes the gears don't fall into place as quickly as they should. I had it happen to me.

I see a 2 speed motor involved. True, you have only 8 speed selections with belts and gears, but see the 2P and 4P up top? That indicates to me that there is a 2 pole and a 4 pole motor with a switch to allow you to control the motor speed. It may have been replaced with a single speed motor, and the wiring changed to suit.

Pictures I found on the web show its a standard clone of a J head Bridgeport. So the extra speeds come from the back gears.
Rotate the handle on the top to the right, then move the handle on the side of the head to engage. Now it should be in back gear.

To go back to direct drive, rotate the top handle back to the front, spin the pulleys by hand until you hear the gears drop in place(If you don't do this there will be a terrible grinding noise the next time you start the motor) and then move the side handle back to dis-engage.

Birmingham.jpg

Birmingham.jpg

I see a 2 speed motor involved. True, you have only 8 speed selections with belts and gears, but see the 2P and 4P up top? That indicates to me that there is a 2 pole and a 4 pole motor with a switch to allow you to control the motor speed. It may have been replaced with a single speed motor, and the wiring changed to suit.
I understandhow the back gear works I think. Back gear out 4 speeds back gear in 4 speeds. And yes I have heard the noise it will make when not fully engauged! But thats only 8 speeds. I might add that this is a mill that was bought new by a man whos brother was a machinist who was going to do the upkeep on his equipment. Then only about a month later his brother passed away and it was moved to a barn where it sat for 8 years. outside of the accumulation of dust it looks brand new. I said all of that to say this I don't anyone has changed anything about the mill since it was new. My question is if the 2P and 4P means 2 pole and 4 pole should I have a switch to change back and forth between the 2 or is it a matter of how one would have it wired? Also want to let all of you know I appreciate all the great help and info you all provide on this site.

Does this machine 3 or single phase motor? Looking at the current models on the Birmingham site it shows them as 16 speed with a 3 phase motor and only 8 speed when single phase.

No such thing as a stupid or dumb question. Don't ever hesitate to ask that way you will know for sure and you get to keep all 10 fingers and both eyes. Our site is all about teaching what we know to help others.

Bob

Back