[Source] 16 SPEEDS PULLEY CHART

BONGO

Registered
Registered
Hi has anyone got a 16 speed pulley chart i can download please . i have a big old draper a 5 groove pulley on the chuck and idler and a 4 groove pulley on the motor .
The ones i have found have 5-5-5 through . beginning to wonder should mine .

Not enough info, depends on motor rpm and diameters of the steps on each pulley.

Umm.. I know I can figure out the RPM from any combination if I work through the known sizes, and the motor RPM.
A chart like that is supposed to save one the labour of going through all that every time - a handy quick lookup.
The chart must assume some kind of motor RPM at the start of all this, no??
Right now I am still gaming the thing to death trying to tease out the logic of what the numbers mean, and how they arrive at the RPM.

and .. feeling a bit stooooopid while I am at it. C'mon Graham, we are better than that, aren't we?? :(

[Edit]
If we assume the 5-pulley cones are identical, and that the 4-pulley cone on the motor drive has the same sizes as the first 4 of the bigger cone, then there are 16 relationships that deliver a known RPM. If we let the motor shaft speed be m, and the pulley sizes be A, B, C, D, E smallest to biggest, we have six unknowns, with some that cancel.

e.g. The third set (2190, 1650, 840, 540) are all driven by same pulley size C on motor shaft and centre shaft with ratio 1:1
Thus we know [D/B] * m = 1650
.. and [B/D] * m = 840
.. and so on

It may be possible to quickly tease out m, but one has to fix at least one pulley real size to get at all the others. Otherwise, we only can know them by their relative ratios. We can forcibly set the smallest value to 1, which helps.

OR..
we can just ask @FOMOGO is he knows which lathe it came from (Draper ??) :)
[End edit]

Last edited:
Fomogo, that is a really nice visual presentation. Did you find that or whip it up?

Just a little google foo. Graham, just go to an online calculator to figure out motor speed, should only need to do it once, or you may find a more complete diagram. I just did a quick search. Mike

That's good enough for me it gives me which way to position the belt for hi/lo speeds . I can use my rpm gauge to be precise and make notes according .
I have just realised my motor pulley is lower , so motor top groove is inline with idler 2nd down groove . But like i said that gives me a great start as to where to position the belts .

Last edited:
Back