16 inch lathe question ???

bobdog

Registered
Registered
Would like to put a bushing in the horizontal gear shaft.. That transverse the saddle from left to right.. Is this possible. And how do you take the saddle apart. To repair it IMG_9427.jpgIMG_9428 (1).jpg

So you want to get at that gear that meshes with the rack when you crank the carriage left/right? That's in the apron, which is the front piece below the front of the saddle. The apron is held onto the saddle by the flat-head screws on the top of the saddle front.

But inside the apron, the lead screw is captive inside the worm gear. You need to pull the lead screw out. But the lead screw is held into the gearbox by a gear inside the gearbox. So you will need to remove the gearbox with lead screw attached, and then pull the lead screw out of the apron.

I highly recommend getting the book "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe Models 10L 13 14-1/2 16" which you can get from Amazon and eBay. It shows you how to remove and reassemble these parts. You can also get it with the rebuild kit which includes replacement felts for internal lubrication. I know that when I pulled mine apart, most of the felts were broken and had fallen out, and some of the shaft journals were already damaged. So I replaced all the felts to fix that problem.

Good luck!

John

So you want to get at that gear that meshes with the rack when you crank the carriage left/right? That's in the apron, which is the front piece below the front of the saddle. The apron is held onto the saddle by the flat-head screws on the top of the saddle front.

But inside the apron, the lead screw is captive inside the worm gear. You need to pull the lead screw out. But the lead screw is held into the gearbox by a gear inside the gearbox. So you will need to remove the gearbox with lead screw attached, and then pull the lead screw out of the apron.

I highly recommend getting the book "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe Models 10L 13 14-1/2 16" which you can get from Amazon and eBay. It shows you how to remove and reassemble these parts. You can also get it with the rebuild kit which includes replacement felts for internal lubrication. I know that when I pulled mine apart, most of the felts were broken and had fallen out, and some of the shaft journals were already damaged. So I replaced all the felts to fix that problem.

Good luck!

John

+1 on getting the reno book. If you want to repair anything, it will help guide you.

Is it possible to remove the right side leadscrew support and carefully slide the whole carriage off to the right? Or not?
-Mark

Is it possible to remove the right side leadscrew support and carefully slide the whole carriage off to the right? Or not?
-Mark

Yes, it is. Once the carriage is at the end and before it comes off, the leadscrew needs to be supported to prevent any rotational force being placed on the gearbox. Also, the carriage weighs in excess of 100 pounds, so get help if you're not comfortable with that much weight coming off all at once.

I thought so- I knew on Atlas machines it's possible but of course the carriages for those are lighter
For a SB you'd probably want to suspend the carriage with an engine hoist and/or have a sturdy table at the end to slide it onto

When I needed to work on the saddle on my 16" SB I first positioned the carriage about near the tailstock end of the lathe. I then removed the leadscrew support on the tailstock end of the lathe. Next I supported the leadscrew on the left side of the carriage. Then, after supporting the apron I removed the 4 screws which attach the apron to the carriage. I was then able to remove the apron off the leadscrew. It is heavy so get help to prevent damaging the machinery or yourself.

I would run the saddle down to the far tailstock end. Block under the carriage (apron) and ten loosen the saddle from it, remove the read hold down under the saddle, loosen the saddle lock, then lift the saddle up and off, then remove the feed screw right side bracket and then slide the apron off the feed screws. Then support the feed screw and shaft if yours has one. They can be removed too but taking out the taper pins on the left end. There is a lot of maintenance help in this book I got for free on Vintagemachiery.com They do ask for a donations. I usually donate $100.00 a year as they have thousands on machine manuals for all brand name machines. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/24411.pdf

Last edited:
Back