1440gt compound angle?

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
I have a stupid question... I'm embarrassed to ask... I'm sure it's something stupid.

The compound on this machine doesn't go (must) past the 50 degree mark... so how would I cut an 11 degree target crown?

The settings are all relative. Depending on how your lathe is marked, it could end up on 79°, 11° or something else.

Start with the compound pointed strait in, down the x axis, then rotate it 11° counterclockwise and lock it down.

On mine, I used a machinists protractor to set it, then marked the location with a center punch.

Just past the 1 minute mark in this video you'll get an idea of what that angle should look like.

This isn't my video, and isn't how I set up barrels, but it'll give you an idea of how to set the compound.

@Ken226 - My compound doesn't move that way.

This is as far to perpendicular to the X axis as it gets...

22-02-16 19-43-06 7027.jpg

But I find it odd that if I spin in the other direction.... I can get the hand wheel on the wrong side of the bed.

22-02-16 19-43-14 7028.jpg

As said above, you'll actually set the compound at 79 degree but there is no mark. You should really explore Joe Piecyncski and Blondihacks on youtube.

I've got an electronic protractor that works pretty well. But Joe has the answer using trig.
When you get compound set. Scribe a mark on both sides, so you can return to 11 easily. Why I can never use the solid toolpost I have, If your working on gun related stuff, your using the compound all the time to cut angles.

If it's not going around further, you may have to loosen and wiggle the lockdown socket heads as it's probably hanging on the T-nuts underneath. Take the bolts all the way out and lift the compound and you'll see how it works.

image19.jpeg

Last edited:
@Ken226 - My compound doesn't move that way.

This is as far to perpendicular to the X axis as it gets...

View attachment 396791

But I find it odd that if I spin in the other direction.... I can get the hand wheel on the wrong side of the bed.

View attachment 396792

It can't be positioned perpendicular? That's weird. Is it made that way, or possibly assembled incorrectly somehow?

Could the factory have put the compound on the dovetail backwards?

Maybe someone else who owns one of these lathes can chime in. I'm not familiar with that lathe.

Take it completely apart and you’ll find some trash in there stopping it from moving in a 360° circle as it should
Or a pin stopping it, or you just need to loosen it further because the bolts holding it down are getting caught on the hole you pull them out of.

Not stupid BTW, just something new to learn. That's why we're all here....

John

Back