1440 HVT2 custom lift base

joeblow65

Registered
Registered
Surprisingly enough the HVT-2 is pretty low, im only 5'9" and I still have to hunker down a bit to comfortably turn the carriage wheel. Im putting some leveling castors under it, as space is limited in my garage and i need to be able to move it from time to time without the engine hoist, but im also putting some 2x3 tubing under it as well. to lift it some more. What are your thoughts on where the wheels should go under the headstock? I've got 4 castors, should I put 2 castors and 2 manual feet under the headstock or just let it fly and center the castors under the headstock?

Attachments

• 20231021_121745.jpg
    20231021_121745.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 79
  • 20231021_121731.jpg
    20231021_121731.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 77
What will this do to making sure the twist is taken out of the bed?

nothing. this is just a lift. but the castors have adjustable leveling feet on a ratchet system. footmaster gdr80

Depends on how crazy you want to get about adjusting for bed twist. Every time you move the lathe, ideally you will go through the set up again.

yes I do understand that. unfortunately I just don't have the space to leave 2ft behind the machine to clear the chips out of the pan. so I'll have to make due

I just don't have the space to leave 2ft behind the machine to clear the chips out of the pan. so I'll have to make due
Can you modify how chips are trapped or removed? My lath has a large capacity for chips and easy access but the electrical box is on the back. I'm moving everything this next year and want to put the lathe against the wall. Will make a new electrical box and mount it someplace else. Will then also need to go to a rotary phase converter.

nope, it's a completely welded steel base. only access to clear chips is from the back. I could cut everything apart but that's definitely not happening

only access to clear chips is from the back
Seems very strange, to me. I've got a PM1440HD from 2016. Cast iron base, front sheet metal lifts out to give clear access to chips. Chips accumulate really fast.

Seems very strange, to me. I've got a PM1440HD from 2016. Cast iron base, front sheet metal lifts out to give clear access to chips. Chips accumulate really fast.
I'm not sure what to tell you. check out the pic of the lathe in my first post and you will see there are no seams, bolts, or removable chip trays. The only way to get to the chips from the front of the machine is between the bed and the base, which is a tight squeeze.

Don't have a 1440, but do have a 1236 that I'm fabbing up a custom stand for. Having easy chip removal access is a big consideration. I looked at your, and PM's photos of your lathe. Having to move the lathe for chip removal seems like a poor design - much like the access to the coolant tank was from the back side on my lathe.

Would it be possible to have a sheet metal tray made to slide under the lathe bed, or a opening cut in the face of the front for a 'sliding drawer', to clean out the chips?

Back