14 inch band saw project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
A trip to the scrap yard provided me with the basis for a 14 inch wood cutting band saw. It is missing some parts so
it will take a while to make it functional. I can't find a brand name on it but it looks like a typical saw from across the pacific somewhere.
The guard is missing but that can be for later refinements after it is working. The driven pulley is gone as well a the belt so will
have to adapt an existing pulley hopefully to the 20mm keyed shaft on the saw. The motor is 1720 RPM with a 3 inch pulley so
would like to find something in the realm of 7 inch diameter to give me a usable FPM speed.
P1040042.JPGThe pulleys run true after a little tweaking and the urethane belts seem to have some crown so will most likely work. The switch was bashed so did some hammering to get it back into shape and the wiring was removed so need to rewire the motor and switch. I was
happy to see that the motor runs fine. The table was red with rust but cleaned up nicely.

P1040040.JPGThis thing is taking up space so hope to get on with the restoration soon. My next quest will be to find a suitable pulley to adapt
to the 20MM shafting. After I get the wheels turning, I will need to fabricate some guides as what was on there is likely the reason
it was junked. Dealing with each defugalty at a time will be a fun time in the shop and ending up with something useful. I do have
several other vertical band saws but I can see that this will be handy since it will run on 120 volts AC and could be powered with
a Honda EU2000 generator if desired. Have a good day out there in HM land. I intend to.:encourage:

That should be fun- you've got all the basics
Are you planning to slow it down for metal cutting?

Certainly looks like a nice solid casting. Mike

Certainly looks like a nice solid casting. Mike
I see one could raise the top piece a few inches and use a longer blade if that was warranted. It's
two castings with the separation about at table height.

I noticed that feature
Your Monarch is a beaut BTW- a pleasure to look at and even more so to use I'll bet

Last edited:
I noticed that feature
Your Monarch is a beaut BTW- a pleasure to look at and even more so to use I'll bet
It's well used, from WWII so not the best at this point. One can do accurate work if
you use care and know it's limitations. It's a 1942 year model, a 14C with about 3 feet of
usable bed. It's hard to beat for some things though. It's a keeper.

Nice project Burt!

As an idea, maybe you could find larger bored pulleys say like 7/8” or 1” id and make a spacer bushing for the pulley/shaft interface

Today's morning project was to fabricate the top blade guide assembly as there was none on
the machine. There was a lot of silver soldering involved so the bearing is moveable as well as
making the whole assembly removable with one screw. It may need tweaking yet but seems to
work just fine.

P1040057.JPG

P1040054.JPG
Yesterday I made a pulley out of some aluminum diamond plate discs. Some flat soft aluminum would have
been a little better but this one works OK. Also yesterday I wired the motor and switch and replaced the
capacitor since the motor didn't start by itself without help. The next project will be to make some sort
of blade guard. I'm thinking of making the guard with diamond plate aluminum but will have to get more
for that. It could be made in wood as well. It runs and saw fine and my total investment in getting it
going is about 20 dollars for a 93.5 inch saw blade and a drive belt.

Nice work on the guide, and gotta love a diamond plate pulley. Cheers, Mike

Back