13 Piece R8 Collet Set Is It Enough? ??

I have the 25 piece Lyndex set, about $350 on sale at Enco. With the Maxi Torque-Rite power drawbar I really don't need my drill chuck anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a 13/32 end mill in an assortment. That said, at the Techshop, the three most used sizes are the most beat up.

To answer your question, yes. Here is my set up.
DSCF1058_zpsb3gb5meg.jpg

DSCF1058_zpsb3gb5meg.jpg

DSCF1058_zpsb3gb5meg.jpg

DSCF1058_zpsb3gb5meg.jpg

DSCF1058_zpsb3gb5meg.jpg

DSCF1058_zpsb3gb5meg.jpg

Since getting a set of R8 collets for the mill, I rarely use a chuck any more. I have a 24 pc. set x 1/32" which allows me to use any of the drills with a collet. The advantage is by removing the chuck from the mix, the drill tip is closer to the spindle which gives you more vertical work space. This can be an important factor on a small mill. The collets also have better runout specs. than typical chucks.

R8 collets will draw down 1/32" from nominal size. This gives me the capability of mounting any diameter from 1/16" up to 3/4". Depending upon the width of the slots in the collet, you could have a problem drawing down a 1/16". Even if you could clamp an 1/16" undersized shank, the grip on the shank suffers and runout is increased.

If you elect to buy a set by 1/16", you could fill out the set later but it would most likely require you to buy individual collets as sets by odd multiples of 1/32" are rare, if they exist at all. I made that mistake when I bought my 5C collet set.

x2....no more raising /lowering for a drill chuck

I rarely use anything other than 3/8" and 1/2" for normal use, but for small endmills (under 1/8") I need to go to a 3/16" collet.

Milling machine collets are generally used for holding tools - which tend to have standard size shafts. You don't need that many sizes. Lathe collets, on the other hand, are used for holding work - then you need them by 1/64ths and that isn't always enough!

Last edited:
I agree with Jason. I wouldn't bother with a 1" R8 as the tool is clamped in the collet outside the spindle, really scary set up. If you have something with a 1" or 1 1/4" shank I'd use and end mill holder.

Bruce

@Bruce, Not to hijack the thread, but a dumb newb question. Why is having a tool or collett outside the spindle bad? Just trying to learn my friend.

Thanks

Glenn

@Bruce, Not to hijack the thread, but a dumb newb question. Why is having a tool or collett outside the spindle bad? Just trying to learn my friend.

Thanks

Glenn

You are clamping on less of the tool, and thus don't have as good of a grip on it. Since the tool is sticking out further, it's also less rigid.

Back