12x30 Hendey is Home

I looked through the literature on vintagemachinery but found no help. My Monarch 60/61 with about the same speed range takes DTE Heavy/Medium. I'm assuming you will flush the system first and then add new oil. I'd go with heavy medium and fill it1/2-3/4 way, run it slow and see how the oil flows through the system. If it seems to flow slowly and not keep up, you could go lighter but I think DTE Light is too thin for a machine running that slow unless the drive chain runs faster and gears down at the spindle. Vactra #2 is kind of the go to way oil. Dave

That is a real nice machine. Seems very much like the Monarchs. I have a somewhat similar lathe. A 1938 Sidney that has pretty much all the bells & whistles of later machines. Same as the pic below, but longer bed. I'm really looking forward to getting it wired up in the shop, and up and running.The 2" larger than advertised thing was pretty common in that era, at least on the higher end stuff. Betting you will really enjoy that one. Cheers, Mike

1639606692315.png

Did you lift that with one sling around the headstock spindle? I don't know anything about the lathe lubricants.
That is one heck of a lathe!

Did you lift that with one sling around the headstock spindle? I don't know anything about the lathe lubricants.
That is one heck of a lathe!
No, the strap is around the nose casting around the spindle. I tried to lift it level with two lifting points, but it lifted perfectly this way. I got the technique from the fella I purchased it from. He loaded it that way as well.

I'm a big fan of these old machines. RPM may be a little on the low side, but rigidity is never a question. Are you going to need to do any work cleaning/fixing it or is it ready to run?

Yes, lots of cleanup and painting. It runs great but still want to check everything and make sure its bearings and ways are clean.

Back