12x30 Hendey is Home

skipd

Registered
Registered
After a lot of work figuring out the logistics of getting a 3000lb machine moved over 200 miles away, its finally in my garage for disassembly, and cleaning. Really glad I decided to build some machine skates to move it around as this thing is a beast. Not much of a comparison to my South Bend Heavy 9!
Going to drain and flush the spindle reservoirs, and the main gear case in the head stock with mineral spirits and diesel fuel. Remove all the machine tags and work at preparing to pull off the head stock to inspect the lead screw reverse mechanism at the bottom of the head stock gear case.

IMG_4118.jpgIMG_4130.jpgIMG_4118.jpgIMG_4130.jpgIMG_4131.jpgIMG_4139.jpgCAB3534C-3449-42B5-ACBA-C067DEF996AB.JPGIMG_2510.jpg

Skipd1

wow for a 12 that is a beast... enjoy your new toy... she looks in good shape.

Soon that will seem like a small machine to move around but have the benefits you can't get from the light stuff. Enjoy and keep us in the loop. Dave

After a lot of work figuring out the logistics of getting a 3000lb machine moved over 200 miles away, its finally in my garage for disassembly, and cleaning. Really glad I decided to build some machine skates to move it around as this thing is a beast. Not much of a comparison to my South Bend Heavy 9!
Going to drain and flush the spindle reservoirs, and the main gear case in the head stock with mineral spirits and diesel fuel. Remove all the machine tags and work at preparing to pull off the head stock to inspect the lead screw reverse mechanism at the bottom of the head stock gear case.

View attachment 388520View attachment 388521View attachment 388520View attachment 388521View attachment 388522View attachment 388523View attachment 388524View attachment 388525

Skipd1
What vintage is this lathe?
The PDF is a 1938 publication. Isn't that your lathe? Could it be that old? D1 spindle in 1938?? Love it.
Taper attachment. Dude, you suck.

Looks close>>>>

Last edited:
I am looking for some advice as to what are the proper lubricants for the Hendey 12x30 lathe. This lathe has separate front and rear reservoirs for its tapered roller spindle bearings and what would be the best for the headstock and quick change gear box. I believe the apron needs Way oil as it uses its oil reservoir to lubricate the cross slide and ways. I am making the assumption the Mobil DTE Heavy Medium Circulating oil might work for the gear cases, not sure for the spindle bearings.
Thanks

Skipd1

Back