12v Cigarette Lighter Extension Cord Plug & Socket Help Or Advice Please

There are heavy duty versions of the type Great White pictured. I got some rated at 10 amps instead of only 3 amps from a local electronics shop. Another style is what I see called Powerpole by Anderson. Some are rated to 350 amps.

Pierre

The tyres on the caravan need 55 PSI , this surprised me as they are usually only 35 to 40 PSI on most caravans . for the short away days we've just come back from i made up a temporary extension out of a pair of soft wire jumper cables with a 6 mm dia fine multi strand copper core .
I was able to park along side the van and get the inflator plugged in the extension cable by running it out the door off the cigarette lighter socket of the car.

As the caravan has a 100 ah ledger 20 hour battery i decided I'll be putting in a heavy duty take off point in either side of the caravan inside a small flush fitting hinged lidded box & be changing the plug and power cabling to a heavier rating for the compressor . The bigger cable is because I found the manufacturers thin twin core cable was a wee bit too warm for comfort after putting in 15 PSI to take it to the recommended 55 PSI in one of the tyres ( It had been stood unused unchecked for nearly five months ) .

If you aren't fussed about using specifically lighter plugs and sockets, look up Neutrik "Speakon" connectors, they're used in PA systems delivering anything up to kilowatts (so tens of Amps) to speaker cabinets, take hefty cables for that reason, are quick-release with a latch - and they're not even that expensive if you get the glass-filled-plastic bodied versions! Run a fused 6mm cable from the battery to the socket (hidden in the car's boot?) and earth the negative side to the bodyshell and all's good!

Try any good auto or truck parts supply store. Tell them what you are planing and hopefully they can guide you to the right product. As one of comments pointed out some of plugs weren't designed for heavy amperage. If you feel the wire or plug when it is under a load and it is hot then it is to small.

Good luck I have one of those small inflators. Mine has enough cord to reach the rear wheels on our mini-van. Never thought about using one on a RV.

Back