12L14 - It's like cutting butter!

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I've been teaching myself to turn with mystery metals and that CRS you get at the borg. It's been an informative, frustrating, and sometimes downright scary education. I saw mention of some magical alloy called 12L14 that was supposed to be easy to machine, so I ordered some from OnlineMetals. It arrived today so I threw a 1/2" diameter rod on the lathe, put in my dullest HSS bit and let her rip - this stuff cuts like butter! I got enough to make half a chess set and I can already tell that this is going to be fun to do. I wish I'd have discovered it a year ago. Now I need to find a type of brass or bronze that is just as easy to turn and I'll be set.

I've got some 4130 round and it cuts well too, just don't heat it and quench it before machining as it tends to get rather hard.

I used to make,among other things,segmented steel spinning chucks. I made chucks for every PGA trophy for several years as well as others,like the Jones cup. All of these I used leaded steel for.

Since all of these trophies were curved everywhere,and I did not have a large tracing attachment,I'd step out the various diameters based on an accurate drawing of the contours. Then,I'd use freehand wood lathe type tools to cut the steps off and make the final contours. Leaded steel made these jobs a lot easier.

It does cut great, and give a good finish. 1215 is similar (not quite as easy to machine, but still pretty good), but has sulphur to improve machinability instead of lead.

Some things to keep in mind about 12L14 though. As others have said, it rusts like crazy. It also has very poor hot strength, is not weldable or heat treatable, and I have found it to be pretty poor in fatigue. You don't get something for nothing I guess. That being said, I use it for most parts I make from steel, especially on the lathe.

Thanks for all the info. I'm making chess pieces, so strength isn't too much of an issue. I'll have to put a coating of some type on - maybe I'll blue the pieces - don't want blackened fingers. I can't wait to try 360 brass - hopefully it's as easy to work with as the 12L14.

360 is even easier, especially if you get it in Half-Hard condition.

A tip: 360 brass does not like lead based solder. It solders fine with lead free,or silver solder.

the only concern I have with all the 'L' materials is well - the 'L' in it... lead is not exactly the healthiest materials to be handling , and the less of it around, the better.

I'd rather work with Aluminum if ease of cut is important. although it isn't as heavy as steel if you need weight...

Back