126 Year Old Lathe

Mastiff

Registered
Registered
I've got a 19x114 inch Lodge, Davis lathe. The date of 2/11/88 is inscribed on the bed. The whole length is about 14 feet. I couldn't get the whole thing in a picture, I can't get far enough back to get it all in the frame.
Lathe badge.jpgLathe carriage.jpgLathe gearing.jpgLathe headstock long view.jpgLathe left side.jpgLathe right side.jpgLathe tailstock end.jpgLathe taper attachment.jpg

2_11_88.jpg

Lathe badge.jpg Lathe carriage.jpg Lathe gearing.jpg Lathe headstock long view.jpg Lathe left side.jpg Lathe right side.jpg Lathe tailstock end.jpg Lathe taper attachment.jpg 2_11_88.jpg

She's a beauty! So what are your plans for her?

I've got a 19x114 inch Lodge, Davis lathe. The date of 2/11/88 is inscribed on the bed. The whole length is about 14 feet. I couldn't get the whole thing in a picture, I can't get far enough back to get it all in the frame.
View attachment 74097View attachment 74098View attachment 74099View attachment 74100View attachment 74101View attachment 74102View attachment 74103View attachment 74104

View attachment 74105

She looks good for her age. Thanks for saving her from the scrap yard. Hope she gives you another 40 years of service.

all info from Cope's book:

Lodge and Davis was a reorganization of Lodge, Barker in 1886. Lodge left in 1892, to for Ohio Machine Tool Works, which later became Lodge and Shipley in that same year. Davis reorganized in 1896, when the firm became Davis & Egan Machine Tool. The firm produced one of the earliest electric driven lathes in 1894.

The taper attachment is called a 'Slate' design, which Lodge improved on later. link , another link

contact John Oder at PM, he might have some more info.

It looks really nice. Can you please post more pics with improved lighting?! Thanks! What did you pay, and how did you get it, is there any backstory?

Thanks!

here is Greg Menke's site for hosting. He has a catalog for Lodge and Davis scanned from the Smithsonian. Not sure what year the catalog was produced though, it looks like your version is depicted in it though.

scroll down to L&D:

link

Thanks for the info, guys!

Here are some more pics:
Lathe Faceplate.jpgLathe steady rest.jpgLathe chuck.jpgLathe idler.jpgLathe gears and tooling.jpg

I got this a number of years ago for $200. The guy lived on a farm out by Rockford, and he had a barnfull of old metalworking machines from the factories that had gone out of business.

I'd love to give the thing to anyone who wants to use it, I don't want to see it scrapped.
If I can't give it away, I'm going to start using it this summer.

Lathe Faceplate.jpg Lathe steady rest.jpg Lathe chuck.jpg Lathe idler.jpg Lathe gears and tooling.jpg

I'd love to give the thing to anyone who wants to use it, I don't want to see it scrapped.
If I can't give it away, I'm going to start using it this summer.

Nice find, and a very nice gesture from you to give it away rather than see it scrapped, wish I could take advantage of it, I'd gladly give you your $200 back.

Old machinery has such an appeal,I think this picture fits in this thread.

Mechanical Workshop On Wheels WW1.jpg

Back