1236T power connection question

cobraJack

Registered
Registered
Getting a 1236T single phase (later this month?)
The manual says "If your supply is nominally 240 V, it may be desirable to alter connections to the 24V transformer in the electrical box."

Very cryptic. How am I to determine if it's desirable? What happens if I don't change anything?
Doesn't say what connection to change or how to do it.

Is this anything to worry about? Can Mark, Dave, you other folks give some advice?
Thanks

JT

The transformer may have taps for 120 and 240 and possibly other voltages as well.
Shoot some pics when it arrives and we can advise you if you need to change anything

Last edited:
That sounds like the generic "google" translation from Chinese meaning "if you're gonna run this on 240 you must alter the connections to the transformer because warranty we slapped a single phase motor on a three phase machine". Or something similar to that.

I just googled the manual. It mentions 220 and 240 nominal voltages. I suspect that the 220 mention has nothing to do with America's reluctance to accept a new standard, but instead relates to a three phase installation, whereas the 240 relates to a single phase installation.

No, actually some locations the voltage may be on the lower side and some are on the high side, so in order to keep the contactor coils comfortable the transformer should be set as close to the actual incoming voltage as possible

Last edited:
@cobraJack Welcome to the site. And congrids on getting a new lathe.

I just looked at my manual, it says it is shipped wired for 220v, and as you said very cryptic. So, I guess you need to measure your incoming voltage to start with and then call Tech support at PM for some guidance if it more than 220v.

@cobraJack Welcome to the site. And congrids on getting a new lathe.

I just looked at my manual, it says it is shipped wired for 220v, and as you said very cryptic. So, I guess you need to measure your incoming voltage to start with and then call Tech support at PM for some guidance if it more than 220v.
I know our voltage here is 120/240 volts. Most places I've lived were 120/240. The old 110/220 hasn't been used here since the 60's or 70's.

Same here, actually I'm a little over that at 244v. The wiring box on the lathe is a little hard to get to but let me see if I can get a better look at it. I'll Let you know.

Tim

Last edited:
Doesn't mean much of anything, so I would not worry about it. The original PM-1340GT (and maybe 1236T) had transformer taps for 220, 380 and 415V, latter ones for 110 and 220V, and maybe the latest may have other input voltage taps centered around the 220/230VAC range? The irony to this is all is the only motor offered has been 220V either in single phase or 3 phase. Bottom line is nothing to be concerned about about this, as the usual voltage range is +/-10%, and this will have no effect on the operations of the lathe or its accessories. The stock tap should be 220V. If equipped with a coolant pump, I would check the voltage but it is also usually 220V single phase. If your transformer has a selection of input voltages match the one that is closest to your line voltage. When you get into CNC/solid state controls voltage becomes more critical, but systems these days often use universal supplies that are not effected by difference in line voltages.
Mark

20140824_105238.jpg

Thanks, Mark and others for assuaging my fears. Getting excited to get my lathe (now probably mid November). Have much of everyone's great advice and suggestions here to apply to and start making chips.

Will keep everyone apprised of the progress.

JT

Back