Site Founder
Administrator

Attachments

• 123_Blocks.jpg
    123_Blocks.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Gruby link=topic=2464.msg16629#msg16629 date=1308415352 said:
Some old timers will know them by the name "Joe Blocks". Don't ask me how they acquired that name. LOL

"Jo blocks" are not 1-2-3 blocks, but sets of small gage blocks (usually 81 blocks) that can be wrung together for precise measurements (.0001) in the range from about .1000 to 4.000 inches. Invented in 1896 by Swedish machinist Carl E. Johansson, they are among the most useful measuring tools you can have.

David Utidjian link=topic=2464.msg16670#msg16670 date=1308497896 said:
Nelson link=topic=2464.msg16609#msg16609 date=1308407325 said:
I have been reading again, always a dangerous thing to do- this time in Starret's Handbook for Student Machinists (http://compare.ebay.com/like/400124...FixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y).

That is a good book. I use mine quite often for a quick lookup on some operation. Usually I tell my students to use it. That is one of the highest prices I have ever seen for that book though. eBay is not always the best place to determine "market price" for something. Amazon has it for $10 less than that.

This probably belongs in the reading section, but I took the sage advice of you guys and bought the Sparey book and the Starrett books for beginners. I have been reading them slowly.
The Starrett book was costly for its size on Ebay, but I couldn't find it on Amazon, where I bought to Sparey book.

Best,

Nelson

Hi all, just a wee warning about some ''!.2.3'' blocks...some of the holes are threaded for screws to enable bolting together for setups...in the manufacture of the the blocks they were threaded first then heat treated and presumably ground...somewhere in the process the threaded holes tightened up not letting the screws go in to the threaded hole ...as you can imagine , they can not now be retapped... this does not apply to all suppliers, but i would suggest you ask for them to be checked before purchase.
All the best for now,
John.

.....Came across 1-2-3 blocks- why are they so named ? .....Nelson

So named because they measure about 1"x2"x3". It's not necessary that they must be exactly that size but should all measure the same. Four is better than two.

Gene

"Jo blocks" are not 1-2-3 blocks, but sets of small gage blocks (usually 81 blocks) that can be wrung together for precise measurements (.0001) in the range from about .1000 to 4.000 inches. Invented in 1896 by Swedish machinist Carl E. Johansson, they are among the most useful measuring tools you can have.

Holy crap- "Jo Block" mystery solved... Learn something new every day here

Like most things you don't know just how much you need them until you get them. I bought a set awhile ago and find that I use them all the time.
I used them every time I set the stop on my vise. Work great for that because you have a perfect corner for the edge finder.

I also bolt odd shaped things to it so that I can clamp the part securely in the vise. Too many uses with a granite surface plate to mention.

Well worth the cost. For hobby work my cheap set from Shars works great.

Gary

You can use them to raise things off the milling machine table.
Used mine to get the precision level above the lathe bed ways so I had a place to our the level cross the ways. One of which was a raised V.
bolt two together at right angles.
Use them with a vernier height gauge to get to your starting point. Block is a precise (relatively speaking) 1" (or 2 or 3) above the granite place face.

I even have a set of 246 blocks I've used a few times. Clamp to the milling machine table and now you have a reasonable vertical surface to clamp something to.

In Machine shop class at vo-tech, one of the first projects we had to make were 1-2-3 blocks. All these years later And I still use them often. If i could go back i would make a few sets in 2-3-4 ect ect.
I recently stopped at a garage sale and found a retired tool and die maker selling off all his tooling and fixtures. The man made everything in the 40's and and had some really nice v-blocks and fixtures. I bought what was left and will have them for the rest of my life.

Its a shame that making your own tooling is a thing of the past.

Back