123 Block question

If you use carbide drill bits you can drill the hardened 123 blocks without problems. I mean real carbide bits, not the carbide tipped ones == Jack

Are 123 blocks typically hardened thru or case hardened?

I was thinking of making some Renzetti style blocks but I can only case harden, sort of.

To clarify terms, the way I understand it is case hardening is specifically hardening a low carbon steel in the presence of carbon to absorb into the surface of the steel. I'm not sure if these blocks are made that way, but even if they are tool steel and fully quenched, the thicker the piece the softer the core will be.

If you use carbide drill bits you can drill the hardened 123 blocks without problems. I mean real carbide bits, not the carbide tipped ones == Jack

I've always been tempted, but never brave enough to lay out the coin. I noticed some carbide drills don't list their hardness numbers, just recommended materials like tougher alloys which makes me wonder if carbides themselves vary?

This one makes specific reference & seems well in the range although a different configuration than a regular twist/jobber. https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/5-100-20541

I wonder how hard a typical Asian 123 block is? This one says 50-60 RC & maybe of bit better quality?

Attachments

• SNAG-8-30-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-8-30-2020 0001.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
The cheap import ones are plenty useful as they are. If I already had the right size carbide drills (more than one) I might try drilling them out. Otherwise I would be tempted to buy one good set of US made ones if I had the need to bolt them together.

John

If you were REALLY on a budget and time was no object, and have a lathe and a toolpost grinder (aka clamped dremel), you could stick the block in a 4-jaw and individually grind out each hole...... Ya know, if you hated yourself.

The Suburban prices are absurd.

Just Drill out the holes you need for your current setup.
Over time as you use the blocks for different setups you will come down to just the last 3 holes and well - just knock it out.

Thanks to the Suburban Tool U-Tube video above, I was able to find a used set of three counter-bored 123 blocks on Ebay for $35. No one had bid on them, probably because of the different sized holes in the photos. The description did not even mention this feature. Go figure.

Back