12" Craftsman Commercial...what's with this drive setup?

Turns out I had my motors confused...the one I have on the shelf is a 56 frame with a 5/8" shaft....3/4hp Baldor, 1725, so it should be a perfect fit if I get it and the motor is actually bad.

I think wa5cab is right. He didn't have the smaller 2-groove motor pulley, but probably had the other motor and pulley on hand. Interesting choice though. If you have a lathe, why not just turn the smaller 2-step pulley? Other possibility is the second motor is variable speed of some sort, but if so why not just use it all the time? -Maybe you'll find out soon.

Best,
Kelly

I think wa5cab is right. He didn't have the smaller 2-groove motor pulley, but probably had the other motor and pulley on hand. Interesting choice though. If you have a lathe, why not just turn the smaller 2-step pulley? Other possibility is the second motor is variable speed of some sort, but if so why not just use it all the time? -Maybe you'll find out soon.

Best,
Kelly

The lathe with the odd setup is just one I saw online....it was an old machinery company listing and not something I'd be buying.

I just stumbled on to that picture while looking for pictures of the correct motor/pulley setup. The lathe near me appears to have the proper motor/pulley configuration, but the drive belts to the headstock are off the pulley and the power cord appears disconnected so I suspect it might have a bad motor. I just wanted to confirm what the motor/pulley setup should look like...which I ultimately found in other pictures and the manual.

Back