10L Dead Center to short...won't eject

dbertheau

Registered
Registered
Still learning...new lathe to me. 1946 10L. I think 187-A.

Not sure if there are different lengths of MT2 tools to put into the tailstock. I may have purchased the wrong dead center???

I have a live center made by Accusize that ejects fine when the tailstock is brought in. But other tools that I have for the tailstock are to short and don't bottom out to eject. Is this common, or did I purchase the wrong tools?

The couple of tools that are to short I'm going to weld about a 1/4" piece to the end so they become the same length as the tools that eject fine.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Pic coming .

I just yanked these out of a drawer earlier today . :grin: All MT2s. I'll be listing them on here very soon as I don't need them . Maybe $3.50 a piece + cheap shipping . I don't know what they go for new , but these are all old time USA made .

Attachments

• IMG_9118.JPG
    IMG_9118.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 15
We'll, I actually have some, just need to weld a piece on a couple. Thanks for the offer.

Based on your photo it does look like they vary in length...kinda hit or miss if the are long enough for my tailstock.

I have a Heavy 10 too. I shortened the tang on my drill chuck because it ejected prematurely. Then it wouldn't eject at all. Drilled & tapped the end and screwed in a button-head cap screw. Just right.

Still learning...new lathe to me. 1946 10L. I think 187-A.

Not sure if there are different lengths of MT2 tools to put into the tailstock. I may have purchased the wrong dead center???

I have a live center made by Accusize that ejects fine when the tailstock is brought in. But other tools that I have for the tailstock are to short and don't bottom out to eject. Is this common, or did I purchase the wrong tools?

The couple of tools that are to short I'm going to weld about a 1/4" piece to the end so they become the same length as the tools that eject fine.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It's a common problem. To eject, the center has to be about 1/2" longer at the small end of the taper. I had the same problem as Mr. Whoopee in that one of my drill chucks was too long, so I cut the tang off. Now, it was too short and wouldn't eject. I had to build up some weld on the end to give it enough length to finally eject. It's a good idea to always check new centers to see if they are long enough to eject before you seat them the first time. This will save time from having to disassemble your tailstock!

Thanks for everyone's responses. Lots to learn getting into this hobby.

Dave

I have also drilled and tapped the ends of several MT2 tapers, it was in each case it was easy to machine. I made a simple adapter with MT2 bore in center and cylindrical outside so I can easily hold the taper in the 3 jaw chuck on the lathe. I always thread 3/8-16 so I can use them with a drawbar in the mill or lathe spindle.

Back