10F lead screw slips

Ok just to be sure. The leadscrew is pausing rotation intermittently during loaded conditions?
Do you have a picture that shows the “keyed insert”?

Picture of keyed insert in the collar. The white line on the collar was aligned with the key insert before I moved it. Key is at 3 o'clock now.

Attachments

• collar slips.jpg
    collar slips.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 5
So that one picture seems to be two separate parts. Weird. Seems to me it’s a bearing and housing now instead of a collar. No set screw on the housing?
I guess that might be a dumb question. What would be the point?

Only two set screws to hold the collar to the ouput shaft of the quick change gearbox. Yes it is two separate parts. One reader said he fixed his with a taper pin. I was going to add two set screws but may rethink using the taper pin. Remaking the collar with a tighter fit on the keyed insert is an option too. I do not have any good tool steel - yet.

I don’t think this will help you, but I made a little video of the collar on mine. I’m guessing it’s not the same as yours. Sorry I wasn’t any help.

I don’t think this will help you, but I made a little video of the collar on mine. I’m guessing it’s not the same as yours. Sorry I wasn’t any help.
Thank you for the video. Appreciate the effort. My gears are the same but the collar is a different vintage.

My 10F makes the same noise. Its the bevel gear in the reversing box on mine. Its a little chewed up from use and a little too much play.

I was able to quiet mine down quite a bit by shimming the gear. I have a 3d printed one I want to try to see if:

A. It holds up
B. If it makes it quieter.

I’ve already added a few printed gears in the rest of the gear train and it quieted the lathe right down. Been there a year and holding up great. But I also printed in abs so they’re a bit stronger and more resilient than say…pla.

Back