1022V Concentric Circles when Facing? Loose gib?

ToolOrDie

Registered
Registered
So I've been having this issue with my 1022v for the last year. I reached out to PM but they said nothing was wrong and pointed me here...

Cross slide Carriage is locked down. Happens manual feeding or automatic feeding. No matter what tool I use. No matter what feed or speed. No matter what material. No matter depth of cut. I get the same exact concentric circles. Always 0.1" or 2.5mm apart. They are fairly deep (I'd estimate 5 to 7.5 thou) as 220 grit takes a good few minutes to get rid of the artifacts.

My first guess was something with the cross-slide screw because of consistency, but PM said thats an impossibility because of "dove tail ways would prevent the lead screw from doing anything like that at all". Then they said it was due to the carbide tool I was using, but it happens with HSS, carbide, no matter the profile.

pm7.jpeg
PM8.jpeg

Would loose gibs cause this possibility? As tool pressure builds, the cross slide moves?

PM said these photos look normal and said nothing is wrong with the machine and basically "user error".

I could maybe see it being user error if there wasn't such consistency across a wide range of variables.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If your cross slide is locked down, either the compound or carriage is moving.

( How are you facing with the cross slide locked down ?)

Does the interval correspond to turns of the cross slide lead screw?

If your cross slide is locked down, either the compound or carriage is moving.

( How are you facing with the cross slide locked down ?)
Sorry carriage is locked down not cross slide.

Does the interval correspond to turns of the cross slide lead screw?
It appeared to me at first that way. I can feel and hear the rings happening when feeding manually and the handle is in the same position.

I was wanting to eliminate any tool load hypothesis so I just ran the automatic feed and randomly started and stopped it about a dozen times before reaching the outside.
Still see the same perfectly spaced rings

PM9.jpeg

I would suggest trying to test it with an indicator while just feeding the cross slide (not cutting, spindle not running). Bent cross feed lead screw or other problems in that mechanism would be my suspicion as well.

starting and stopping the feed will cause those lines.
Have you let it feed on it's own without interruption?
Are you feeding into the center or away?
That tool is designed to cut from the center to the edge, not the other way around.
I prefer cutting into the center, and sometimes, I clean up exiting the center.

Looks like harmonic nodes to me, like a phonograph. Since speed doesn't' affect it (speed drops as you move inward in diameter), then maybe a different tool bit or a different presentation angle? Also make sure the chuck, backing plate, and spindle interface are tight. May need to re-do the preload on your spindle bearings.

Back