101.24100 Thread Dial Question

Hiddenhider

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am having a problem with the thread dial on my lathe, I'm hoping that one of you guys have an answer for me.

With the dial in place on the lead screw and tightened up it turns as normal when the lathe is turned on, however when the carriage half nuts are engaged it stops turning. Knowing that it must be being dragged along the lead screw just pushes all my buttons at once.

The very first thing I figured is that the lead screw must be bent, but it does the same thing regardless of where I position it along the whole length of the bed.

For a little bit of history I purchased this lathe a little over a year ago, It has been completely disassembled, cleaned and painted. It's a Timken bearing model.

For the sake of not hijacking my own thread I'll just leave it at that now.

Thank you,
John

That is the way threading dials work. What you are seeing is normal.

You engage the half nut on the same thread each time by engaging it on the same number or line each time, ensuring that the cut is taken in the same thread groove each pass.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

When the lathe is turned on the lead screw is turning the gear as the carriage is not moving. When you engage the half nuts then the carriage is advancing at the same rate as the lead screw is turning thus the dial stays stationary.

Thank you both for the replies, it makes perfect sense now. I'll get it set up and practice cutting some threads.

Thank you,
John

Back