101.21400 rear spindle bearing

sgriggs

Active User
Registered
Hello all. I've finished painting and am trying to put the spindle back into the head stock. Everything is fine but the rear roller bearing is giving me problems. I tapped the spindle out with a piece of wood to remove it a while back but now I can't seem to get it to go back on.
The spindle has no nicks and I've oiled it to help but still no go. How difficult should it be to install the rear bearing? Do I need to press this bearing back on? This is the original bearing that I took off, not a new one.

Scott

Scott,

This is a typical problem not alluded to by the Atlas Technical Bulletin. Solution is to either make a puller, for which you need the lathe. Or warm the bearing cone. To do the latter, you need a toaster oven sitting near the lathe, and a cooking thermometer (because you can't depend on the temperature scale on most toaster ovens). Warm up the toaster over and get it to between 150 and 175 F using the thermometer. Wrap the bearing cone in aluminum foil such that you can easily open the foil when hot. Preheat the bearing for say 15 minutes or more. Unwrap the bearing and quickly slide it and the sleeve onto the spindle and hold it at zero clearance until it cools off. Then install the dust cover, sleeve, woodruff key, spindle gear and collar and follow the preload instructions in the TB.

Robert D.

Back