101.07403 Refurb - Leadscrew questions

TMP-NET

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

New to the group (thanks for all the great reading).

Just starting a refurb of a Craftsman 101.07403 with a 48in bed. Got it for an ok price with a bunch of tooling now adding elbow grease.

Starting on the scrub down removing the grime, surface rust and greasy ick and come to find out the lead screw is pretty worn. Even a novice like myself knows Acme screws aren't 's'pose to be pokey.

So here's the question, I have a line on an Atlas TH-48 leadscrew in very good condition. It measures out correctly but I haven't torn mine apart yet so I don't know if there is a difference in the headstock ends of the screw. Does anyone know?

Will this be plug and play or do I need to keep figuring?

(neither of the machines has the quick change gear box)

Good enough, I'll look forward to some education.

Respectfully, TMP-NET

(Too Many Projects- Not Enough Time)

Should be a match AFAIK
as long as it's from a change gear machine (no QCGB)

Last edited:
First, the lead screw from any 48" or 54" Atlas or Craftsman lathe should fit your machine Of course . you would have to cut 6" off of one end if you used a lead screw from a 54" machine. To evaluate either lead screw for wear, use a dial or digital caliper to measure the width of the land and groove near the headstock end. When new, they were within 0.005" of each other. Do the same with the replacement screw just to be sure that it is better than the one on your machine. Crank the carriage about half way down the bed. If you can see the key or key way at the head stock end, rotate the lead screw until until the key is at BDC (Bottom Dead Center). Otherwise, assume that both lead screws are the same and position the lead screw accordingly. Remove the tail stock end frangible bearing from the machine (you may want to replace the bearings). Engage the carriage drive and use the hand wheel to extract the end of the lead screw from the head stock, Rotate the lead screw to position the long groove at BDC. Remove the old lead screw from the machine,

Reverse all procedures to install replacement lead screw.

Back