101.07403 Apron Mitre Gear Question

smoa

Registered
Registered
I am working on the apron for a Craftsman 101.07403. The parts digram I have shows this stud 10F-17 coming out of the Mitre Gear 10F-83. I can't currently get them separated and when I install them and tighten the screw to install these to the apron, the gear wont turn freely. I have to leave the nut slightly loose. IS this how it is supposed to go together?

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the stud should come out of the gear freely. If there were something badly wrong with the gear such that you had no choice but to replace it, I would make a receiver out of an aluminum block, screw a coupling nut onto the stud to spread the load over several threads, and attempt to press the stud out. However, if the gear is OK and spins freely on the stud, I would leave it as is. You can fix the other problem by shimming the stud with the proper size bearing inner race shim(s). But under no circumstances should you attempt to run the lathe with the stud loose. Now that you are aware of the problem, Murphy says that sooner rather than later, it will unscrew and take out two or three other parts as it goes.

Thank you. I just wanted a sanity check before I used a little force. It pressed right out. Actually, once apart I was able to clean the mitre gear and the stud up a bit, and achieve an acceptable fit between. Then after stoning the bottom of the gear. It all fit back together the way I'm thinking it should.

Bryan

OK. You lucked out. :)

Back