101-07301 lock pin behind the Chuck

watersteps

Registered
Registered
Hello all, I disassembled my newly acquired 101-07301 6 inch lathe and cleaned up everything. I was looking for any broken or worn out parts. So far the only thing that I found that does not seem right is the locking pin in the "Back Gear" M6-241. The pin slides in to the step pulley M6-79. There is a small ball bearing, spring and a set screw that came out of the back gear. If I install the ball bearing and spring and screw in the set screw the gear locks up with the Back Gear Assembly M6-243X when you turn it. The set screw sticks out of the back gear OD.
I believe the set screw should be only .125 inch long not the .375 length that I have.
The locking pin should snap in and out to connect the back gear to the step pulley, yes,no?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it sounds as though you have it right. Engaging and disengaging back gear is a two step process:
Setting the pin in the correct location and engaging or disengaging the back gears themselves. If you
engage the back gears without changing the pin, it locks the spindle.

Yes I do believe your correct about the length of the set screw in the "bull" gear. I think if you can't locate another set screw you could put the existing set screw on a hex wrench and grind it down to size. Put some Locktite on the hex wrench because if it goes "flying" it's gone and no aggressive grinding!

Loctite loosens up with heat so I doubt it’ll work for grinding. Most any hardware store will have a selection of set screws though.

John

Back