100mm hole through 5mm acrylic sheet

Maybe I got lucky (twice) on that sheet metal box I cut through. Thanks for the idea on modding the bits for plastic drilling. Haven't done much plastic drilling, so I just blunder my way through it. If I need to drill plastic, I will keep this in mind.
For smaller holes in plastic, and step bit (Christmas tree bit) works great, for sheet metal too.

Others have great answers on how to make the circle. I can recommend a bit I used in a router to cut straight lines in 1/4" acrylic for a showcase project for work.

From my notes I used an "Amana 51504" "slow spiral" bit. Solid carbide for 30$, but it worked like a charm. Beautiful edge like glass, no burrs. I never cut plexiglass, but after a couple trial cuts, really worked well. Speed/feed was important. Too fast and material can crack and too slow will melt the material. My records say I cut off a 48" sheet in 15 seconds, of course using a stiff straightedge.

Good Luck!

Use a circle cutter to make a MDF pattern and route it out with a pattern bit like Martin mentioned. Practice on some scrap to get a feel for it before you make your part.

Back
Top Bottom