10” Tilt Arbor table saw (contractor’s saw-Craftsman) blade adjustment issue

Jeff after looking at that picture you could try to fab together some way of sealing off the ends so saw dust could not migrate into that shaft. I have a few ideas just setting here thinking of it. May not be needed if your son uses the saw enough and resets that adjustment and keeping it moving now and then it may not ever freeze up again. It seems to me that it would take a lot of poor maintenance to see what happened do that again. I keep the internal of my cabinet saw cleaned out pretty well and haven't noticed any of the adjustments getting tight.

Jeff after looking at that picture you could try to fab together some way of sealing off the ends so saw dust could not migrate into that shaft. I have a few ideas just setting here thinking of it. May not be needed if your son uses the saw enough and resets that adjustment and keeping it moving now and then it may not ever freeze up again. It seems to me that it would take a lot of poor maintenance to see what happened do that again. I keep the internal of my cabinet saw cleaned out pretty well and haven't noticed any of the adjustments getting tight.
I keep going back to the fact that this is an old piece of equipment. I think you nailed it.
I think if he adjusts the blade height on a regular basis, which he will due to use.
If this saw sat for years I would think it may lock up again.
The pin and bire cleaned up with acetone and scotch-brite.

I took it over to his house yesterday. He couldn’t believe it was the same saw, quieter, both tilt and height adjustment worked smooth as glass. I also made a new knob to replace the bolt that was used for the one that went missing.

Good job dad!

Found this in an old magazine.
Pierre

Attachments

• BF193109-6407-444C-B9B6-DDE20EC2E34A.jpeg
    BF193109-6407-444C-B9B6-DDE20EC2E34A.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 10
I think that it is time for me to dive into my road kill Rockwell 9" table saw I picked up for free. Lots of good suggestions here on how to free things up. Good rainy day project

IMG_4150.JPG IMG_4151.JPG

Got the tilt mechanism freed up. It moves pretty easy now. The mechanism that raises and lowers the blade is at least working now. Still pretty stiff. The pin it rotates on didn't want to come out and it got cold outside. So I called it a day. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

Back