10-32 versus M5???

Where I work we purchased a valve to use in a new piece of equipment. The spec sheet listed the mounting holes as M5 or 10-32. We used 10-32 and for many years of building this machine never had a field failure of the thread.

I pulled a bag of used 10-32 titanium screws from a trash bin at work and used them to replace some steel M5 screws on my bicycle. They worked perfectly and have been in use for many years.

That's a good reason to buy a package and not throw old ones into a drawer. If it was me I know I'd find one that didn't quite fit and bugger up the threads on something I cared about.

Yes, I have boxes of old hardware I use quite a bit but more and more I find myself just buying the right fastener for the job. Saves lots of headaches....

John
I settled on using metric for all new work. I bought assortment boxes from McMaster-Carr rather than the cheap Chinese stuff on eBay. The heads are all marked with their grade. Looking for the grade marking is also a good way to tell metric from Imperial. The McMaster hardware is quality & kind of expensive but has saved many trips to the hardware store. Buying a few screws at a time at the hardware store is expensive per piece. Eventually the sets will probably end up as cheap or cheaper on a per part basis and a lot cheaper in travel/time. When I run out of the most common sizes used I buy a package of 100 pc. from McMaster.

I tear all sorts of old stuff apart to see how it works/was made. I save the hardware by product, until I'm really bored then sort. The pandemic has provided a lot of "bored!"

Thanks John!
These are a series of screws that hold an elevator cable to the top of the car.
Robert
I hope that was tongue in cheek. When fasteners with mismatched pitch are mated, there is full thread contact on only one thread. While threaded fasteners do stretch under load so that the load isn't uniformly distributed to all the threads, aggregating the situation by purposely using mismatched pitches isn't wise. For holding a nameplate on a machine, no problem. Holding a elevator cable on a car???

i think it would be an elevator for mice if it used M5 screws to hold it up!

Back