1" Tool Holders Carbide insert Tooling

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would there be any advantage to using 1" shank tooling in a BXA holder?
II would make my own holder so the dovetail would fit bxa post.
I also saw some pics of a guy who cut dovetils right into the tool holder. Not sure what that would do to the rigidity of the holder. You would go from a 1" shank to .59".

I've shaved down a few from 1-1/4" to 5/8". I don't recommend it. It's hard on the mill cutting 45 RC hard material. I've done some that had 1" shanks, too.
As for cutting a dovetail into the tool shank, it works. Go for it! It's not like you have a 25 HP motor behind the cutting edge putting brute forces on both the cutting tool and work piece. I see nothing what so ever wrong with it. Ken

So what exactly is the material?

So what exactly is the material?
If USA made, most are made of H-13 tool steel. A few use 4140/45 steel. Chinese, C40-C45, or 35Mn, they call it, which is equivalent to our 4130.
Ken

I 'be shaved a few 1-1/4 down to 1.00 . With a carbide end I'll it didn't seem bad, but I have never had a training b, sides this site .
Thanks Ron. Scruffy

s-l64.jpg I got the holders. 2 Kennametal DCKNR-205D INS CN-54. They're heavy. I have a feeling this will not end well. LOL

unless its a special carbide shape or holder I see no reason to ruin a good toolbit bill

I've shaved down a few from 1-1/4" to 5/8". I don't recommend it. It's hard on the mill cutting 45 RC hard material. I've done some that had 1" shanks, too.
As for cutting a dovetail into the tool shank, it works. Go for it! It's not like you have a 25 HP motor behind the cutting edge putting brute forces on both the cutting tool and work piece. I see nothing what so ever wrong with it. Ken
Wait a minute Ken, you say it's hard on the mill cutting hard metal, but it's ok to put a dovetail in the same metal?
A slight contradiction ??? Which is it..

Wait a minute Ken, you say it's hard on the mill cutting hard metal, but it's ok to put a dovetail in the same metal?
A slight contradiction ??? Which is it..
That crossed my mind after I posted it, too. My apology.
Never tried to cut a dovetail in a holder. I've seen it done. It has to be hard on the tooling and mill. I would suspect you would cut the slot with a endmill first unless you have a inserted tooth cutter. Then come in with a dovetail cutter. I do have inserted tooth dovetail cutters but I don't think I want to use them on something like this.

I have a bunch of inserts and if I ruin my cutter I'll make another. This time 1144 stressproof. I'll take it easy though.

Back