1 to 3 phase static convertor, 1-3 HP

Just for the record, I purchased my VFD when the two speed switch wore out on my Enco 9x42 vertical mill. The cost of the switch
was about the same as the VFD so thought I would give high technology electronics a try. My mill motor has two speeds
and the switch had both forward and reverse on it, so quite a complicated affair. I was not in the mood to replace that switch with another
of the same as they seemed to me to be of relatively poor quality and basically not repairable. Not I'm not terribly fond of glorified
switching mode power supplies which is what a VFD is, however for my application is has been the perfect solution. So in retrospect
the hi-tech VFD has it's place I guess and if it fails, I would buy another one. I like big heavy transformers, solid state bridge rectifiers and analog
dials too but there comes a time when one has to admit that advances in technology can be a good thing. I really have enjoyed the improvement
of my step pulley mill to variable speed. The pulley has been set on 850 rpm for years now and I have no need to change it. I have to agree with
Jim Dawson that a VFD on a lathe would be somewhat ambiguous.

You could probably make a VFD with tubes and transformers... You might have to make the tubes though...

Back