1" round rod, what can be made?

Found a 10' long section of round steel 1" in diameter. I cut off 12" length and cleaned it up a little, as it was buried in the dirt of my backyard.

I was thinking maybe a hammer but it looks like most machinist hammers use a aluminum handle.

What sort of stuff would you make or could be made from a 1" steel bar? With lathe only, no milling here, yet.

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

:grin big::immersed::disgust: Your gonna need a five pound hammer to bend 1" material. Bust out the torches it will make it alittle easier.
Well you have some railroad rail and a bunch of 1" bar. Get yourself a furnace and start forging out some knifes or something. Get yourself a workout while you work:).

... Maybe try a bigger hammer, or is this going to require a torch and heat to get a 10" long pc with a 1/8" gap,on the roll it on flat surface test, to be strait?
Just curious how you all true up crooked stock before turning it on the lathe?

One of these days you're going to need a piece of stock that's slightly bent. It'll be some creative, artistic project. Probably a gift or something. You'll have some vague memory. Then, after digging around in your large-ish scrap bin you'll find this long lost chunk of steel and be thrilled!

-OR-

You can cut that thing into 2" pieces that are straight enough for 2" pieces. Those also go in the scrap bin until such time as their ultimate destiny reveals itself to you.

Either way, into the bin it goes! Seems like you have an abundance of straight 1" round stock at the moment.

Be thankful you didn't unearth some 1" plate stock. Then, you would be inquiring as to which mill you should be buying! ;-)

MetaKey

Most of it is .624" diameter but I am happy.

Yes the rabbit hole of more machines more tools goes hand in hand with a lathe, I can tell already.o_O

Ok so I am just taking a few more samples while I figure out where to stick this stuff for storage.
Is it better to store on a concrete floor or a dirt floor as long as its in doors..lol? I have a downstairs but its dirt floor or a leaky external garage with concrete floors.
I am leaning towards dirt/slate rock as it seems to rust less than my garage.

The longest pc is 12' 6" long and the diameter of most is .624 or 15.8mm
Those are tension rods from a structure.

Thing building or water tower where you see an X between legs.

Those are the X

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks TQ60
I always wondered what the heck they were.
I know one of the former owners of the house collected rocks and I thought maybe they did forging or metal work too. But IDK..lol

After all this discussion I hope we're not going to have to wait long to see what you have made?!
Robert

This would be an interesting contest. Cut one of those pieces up into shorter lengths and send them to a bunch of people to see what can be made! Post all the results here! From backyard scrap find to ???
Robert.

Back