1" band saw blade for Doall

What about saws without hydraulics?

All saws should have a specification in the operators manual as to how much down force should be applied, and some way of controlling that force. Some will have springs at the pivot end to counter the full weight of the head while others will have a sliding weight somewhere on the top or side of the head. Only the higher end saws will have an actual hydraulic down force cylinder and pump. On most saws the "hydraulic cylinder" merely retards the down feed speed.

Once you know the proper down force for your saw, (on my saw it's 6 psi at the idler wheel) you can set the spring or weight to 1/3 that amount (in my case 2 psi) for the break in period. After the saw has cut material at that down force pressure for 10 minutes the down force can be returned to the normal amount.

All saws should have a specification in the operators manual as to how much down force should be applied, and some way of controlling that force. Some will have springs at the pivot end to counter the full weight of the head while others will have a sliding weight somewhere on the top or side of the head. Only the higher end saws will have an actual hydraulic down force cylinder and pump. On most saws the "hydraulic cylinder" merely retards the down feed speed.

Once you know the proper down force for your saw, (on my saw it's 6 psi at the idler wheel) you can set the spring or weight to 1/3 that amount (in my case 2 psi) for the break in period. After the saw has cut material at that down force pressure for 10 minutes the down force can be returned to the normal amount.
I will just have to hand feed mine.
There is no info on my saw on the web.

Back