1.750 MT drill bit

Ah, too bad.

I can take a look through my drawers, but I think that's the only mega-drill I've got.

Mike , spade drill is the way to go . But , if you really want to blow that material out .........................................;)

What you need is an insert drill . I have smaller and have used them up to 4" diameter in the past . Pull the tailstock with your carriage and sit back and watch the corn curl chips come out . :big grin:

A Link? I down sized my drill size to 1 11/16 now I want to finish at closer to 200 wall thickness @ 10" depth.

I'll save the MT5 for now.
The indexable stuff is pretty pricy....

Checked eBay I just looked their was a lot of 1 11/16 bits. Range from 40-400.

It is a MT4 shank drill, the 1340GT takes a MT3 so will need an adapter. I would not want to drill the hole in a single pass, in steel I usually do 1/4" steps with my MT3 drills, and or use stepped drills, I start out with a bit bigger drill in aluminum. You could damage the taper or break something if pushed too hard. Usually beyond 1 1/4" I switch to my 1" boring bar which can go 8-9" deep.

Reactions: tjb
Hi Mark, I start with a 9/16, and go up, my biggest drill is 1 5/32 right now, I have the adapter, and the 1" bar that I have now is not reaching the bottom. I have another longer bar coming. I'm not sure of what DOC to remove material in aluminum, but .030-.050 takes a long time to hog out over .600, plus backing out to clear swarf. I may be doing something inefficiently though. :)

Back