1.625 x 8 Mounting Plate for 3 Jaw Chuck

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had a friend call today and ask if I could bore and thread a mounting plate for a small 3 jaw chuck. The lathe is a small Hardinge with 1.625 x 8 tpi spindle. I explained to him that I could do that for him, but he should check around and see if he could just buy one that was already threaded. I checked the usual places and didn't find anything. I have to think that with all the Hardinge lathes out there someone must be selling mounting plates for them. Anyone know of dealer selling plates that size? Thanks

Chuck

Oddy enough my SB 11" spindle is also 1 5/8" - 8. The bad news is that no, there doesn't seem to be anything available. I have been keeping my eyes open as well as actively searching for the last couple of years and have found nothing.

What I generally recommend is that one get a 1 1/2" - 8 backplate, bore it out, and re-thread it.

Sorry I couldn't offer anything better,

-Ron

Ron, Thanks for the reply. I don't remember ever seeing that size listed, but I thought maybe somebody was selling them. I don't think he has the machine or ability to bore and thread one, so I will probably be doing it for him. I was wondering if the bore dia. for 1.625 would clean up the existing threads in a plate with 1 1/2-8 threads in it. Seems like it would be close.

Chuck

Ron, Thanks for the reply. I don't remember ever seeing that size listed, but I thought maybe somebody was selling them. I don't think he has the machine or ability to bore and thread one, so I will probably be doing it for him. I was wondering if the bore dia. for 1.625 would clean up the existing threads in a plate with 1 1/2-8 threads in it. Seems like it would be close.

Chuck

It actually works out fairly well. The minor radius of the 1 5/8" - 8 works out to be right about 1 1/2" so you can pretty much just wipe the threads so that you have a 1 1/2" hole then start threading them for the 1 5/8" - 8.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Ron, Thanks for the info. He told me that he had purchased a plate with 1-1/2-8 threads thinking that was the size he needed, so I guess that will work as well as a blank.

Chuck

Back