1.5x70 timing belt

Masterjuggler

Registered
Registered
I just sheared some of the teeth off the timing belt that's on my 7x14 mini lathe. The one at LMS here is out of stock, estimated to be back in May 9th. Does anyone have any idea where else to find these belts and get them in a reasonable amount of time (not China)?

From some measurements I just took, the 1.5x70 printed on it means module 1.5 (like gear module) and 70 teeth. Using calipers on the teeth measures about 4.71mm, which is module 1.5. The belt is 330mm long.

Some day I'll ditch the belt system that's on it in favor of something more robust. That day however is not today.

Does this look like the right one?
-Mark

It appears that the belt for those machines is SO rare and hard to find that people are replacing the pulleys in order to use a more standard belt. I saw several vendors who offer kits to do this.

Does this look like the right one?
-Mark
It looks like it, I'll sent them a message to make sure. I hadn't seen it before in my searches, thanks for bringing it up.

I saw them myself both on ebay and aliexpress from China, but I'd rather not go with that route right now. By the time it gets to me, LMS will already have it back in stock, so it's a bit of a moot point.

It appears that the belt for those machines is SO rare and hard to find that people are replacing the pulleys in order to use a more standard belt. I saw several vendors who offer kits to do this.
Yeah, I definitely want to replace this system with something else. Right now I have a 1/2hp 3ph motor with a set of v-belt pulleys going to a shaft with the timing gear pulley on it. Plus I still have the headstock gearing. Too much lol.

I've been belt shopping lately too, for a project of mine. There are literally dozens of belt tooth styles and sizes, some for precise positioning like 2GT, M3 and M5 (rounded teeth) and others are more for transmitting power, like the L and XL styles (trapezoidal teeth)
The L and XL styles are older, very common and easy to find belts for. They would be a good choice for a small lathe
-M

If you can't get replacements from McMaster-Carr it's time to replace the pulleys.

Back