1/4 inch milling cutter loading with aluminum t6061

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I am using a cnc mill with a 1/4 inch hss cutter. The spindle is running at 1000 rpm and the feed rate is about 20 inches per minute. Assuming I can clear the cutter can someone reccomend an rpm and feed rate for a 1/4 inch cutter in aluminum?

Fly cutter, end mill cutter, what kind of cutter? I'm assuming an end mill type, how many flutes?

A normal milling calculator is saying 2500, but I would think you need a lot of lube to keep the flute clear. I'm guessing with CNC you are turning faster, No 2 flute available?

No I do not have a 2 flute. Would it help if I increased the feed to 20 or 30 ipm?

I'm not where I can look it up right now but Machinery Handbook has all the info you need, Use a 2 flute for aluminum & the shortest end mill that will do the job. rpm & feed rate are related to give chip load. 1000rpm seems really slow. So does your feed rate.. Use cutting fluid to prevent chip welding. We run a 3/8" @16,000rpm. I don't remember the feed rate, several hundred "/min. 12hp spindle. If you are running a low power machine, keep your chip load high enough to carry away the heat. Best to just look up the recommended rates. Tooling companies may have that on line.

13,000?
Worlds of difference between our manual machines and the high tech CNC multi axis production machines.
In my manual world, WD-40 has been magic sauce for reducing chip loading on aluminum

Back