1/4 inch depth of cut in alum on 11 inch Logan.

Jimsehr

Active User
Registered
I may have posted this before . But with all the talk about hss or carbide tools I wanted to show what a high positive tool could do. I do not have power feed on this lathe. so feed is done by hand. but if you look at carriage you can see it is moving pretty quick. The chip looks real fine, but that is because of the high positive rake on the tool. the back rake is about 45 degrees. The tool is a plain cheap 3/8 carbide tool. it cuts about the same on leadloy steel. I took 2 passes to cut a 1 inch alum bar to zero dia same also on leadloy.

to see tool cutting google high positive tool

Here you go:

Nice cut!

I noticed the T-slotted cross slide. That is not a stock Logan slide, right? Your tool post is also huge - design is similar to a KDK except handle is in the rear. I'm sure that helps.

Last edited:
Now that's one way to avoid parting!

Nice demo.

Mikey
The cross slide is a stock Logan production slide. And the tool post is a KDK post. I started doing production machine work on a Logan lathe like this in about 1953. I also made thousands of cams for the KDK tool posts when I had my machine shop. When they were still in Calif. I have a couple of KDK posts and use any size block that is handy.

Back