1/2 roughing endmill

I have something similar in both fine & rough. I'm no expert, just a hobbyist, but I think roughing EM's are often overlooked for smaller duty machines like we use. Roughers were probably targeted for big boy production machines. But the way I look at it, its just easier on our smaller ones even if we don't care about time or output. They cut with so much less drama, less vibration, higher removal, less heat.. I have a 1/2" fine rougher & 1/2" spiral finisher in 2 different R8 adapters. My go-to method for many parts is rough to within 0.010", then swap in the finisher (thus preserving DRO settings). The EM diameter tolerances seems to work out very close. So what I'm saying is there is value in have 2 EM's of the same diameter whatever you choose.

The more flutes the lighter the chip load per flute, the better for roughing. Life of these depends on quality and use. Better tools with better coatings last longer. Not pushing tooling to is capacity helps them last. Both of these need to be balanced by your budget. (tooling budget and time profit budget)

I'm wondering what would be the difference in choosing a 3 vs 4 flute? ? ?

There is also an advantage to 3 flutes in some applications because flutes do not oppose each other. For instance, when cutting a slot and 180 deg. of the end mill is in contact with the work. Means less vibration, better finish I think.

I received my 1/2 4 flute roughing endmill today this thing is awesome I cut what I needed in four passes .200 per pass cutting 1018 :) I ordered the one linked up the page I can't seem to post links for some reason? ??Screenshot_2017-01-29-00-39-33.png

I can't seem to post links for some reason? ??

I logged in under your account & tried, worked fine. First link above was just cut & paste. Second link was using the url tool in the message editor.

Which method did you try? Can you try another browser?

Don't know why it's probably my phone but that's what I do everywhere else and it works fine

Back