1/2 Jacob drill chuck

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got a Jacob 1/2 drill chuck for my Chevalier milling machine. I was wondering if a keyless chuck is better for a milling machine. I am sure $ makes a difference . I like the idea of a keyless but I want what is best. If a keyless is best can you please advise me on a good chuck to buy for a manual mill.

I'd say use what you have unless you have a good reason to switch. Drills aren't really precision anyway so if you're interested in making better holes spend the money on some chucking reamers.

John

One thing to keep in mind with keyless chucks is that they self tighten. This is fine most of the time but heavy drilling with big drills in steel can make them difficult to open. Keyed chucks are better for heavy going. The high quality
keyless chucks are reasonably accurate and of course they're handy. Albrecht seems to the preferred brand around here,
though Glacern makes a good keyless as well.

One thing to keep in mind with keyless chucks is that they self tighten. This is fine most of the time but heavy drilling with big drills in steel can make them difficult to open. Keyed chucks are better for heavy going. The high quality
keyless chucks are reasonably accurate and of course they're handy. Albrecht seems to the preferred brand around here,
though Glacern makes a good keyless as well.
The only thing I have found is drill bits over 1/2in can have a hard time being removed from the keyless chuck

Ok guys . Thanks for the info. I will keep using what I got.

Back