1,2,3 blocks..........89.5 degrees

Building Something

Active User
Registered
I just received my first set of 1,2,3 blocks. My digital caliper tells me the dimensions are just about spot on. However, my digital protractor tells me most of the angles are off by 1/2 degree.

Im very new to machine work. Does this sound right?

No, it doesn't. I'd immediately suspect the protractor rather than the 1-2-3 blocks. They generally are ground far closer to square than that.

What kind of digital protractor are you using?

The specs on 1-2-3 blocks as I remember them require them to be square within 0.0004. I don't believe the average protractor has fine enough resolution to show that small an error.

0.5 degrees over 3 inches would be an offset of about .026"
That amount of error should be easily visible if the block were held against a known square.

I had a cheapo digital level and threw it out. I think to get something that's fairly accurate and precise, you'll need to spend some money.

Ray

I never use digital calipers or the like. They only read to 1/2 thou. A good dial caliper can be read to 1/4 thou by eye,and I like that better. Even if it's NOT really accurate to 1/4 thou,as long as you use the same caliper for all the parts,things work out.

If you have an indicator and a surface plate (or the equivalent) you can quantify the squareness of the blocks.

Gene

SQUAR2.jpg

Back