Mr Pete222

Those of you who know Lyle, please pass along some encouragement. I took shop a few towns away in Eastern Iowa as a boy. My shop teacher was perfectly good, but I did not pay attention like I should have. Watching Pete222 lets me make up for some of my missed lessons. I grew up in a family of machinists and I thought, wrongly, that my forefathers would always be around to ask for advice.

The Vevor 13B reviews he did got me thinking about a drill sharpener that uses ER20 collets. I have several sets from a mis-order fiasco years ago. I was trying to get some sockets to fill in sets and AMZ kept sending me various sets of collets (Material Master cross index issues in AMZ's ERP system with Gearwrench part numbers overlapping Jacobs part numbers after a merger). I solved the issues for them (30 years of ERP IT work come in handy sometimes), but they never would take back all the collet sets they rained down on me. My darex sharpeners are fine but the price of those big collets is more than the whole Chinese 13A/B units cost.

In theory, the 13B "master collets" could have gone up to 15mm or more from what I could see. Plus, some shop made tiny right angle plates with a hole in them could be used as "shoes" for the master collets to put tools and drills on my cup grinder or other wheels. This would be good for quick grinding down to an angle.

Those of you who know Lyle, please pass along some encouragement. I took shop a few towns away in Eastern Iowa as a boy. My shop teacher was perfectly good, but I did not pay attention like I should have. Watching Pete222 lets me make up for some of my missed lessons. I grew up in a family of machinists and I thought, wrongly, that my forefathers would always be around to ask for advice.

The Vevor 13B reviews he did got me thinking about a drill sharpener that uses ER20 collets. I have several sets from a mis-order fiasco years ago. I was trying to get some sockets to fill in sets and AMZ kept sending me various sets of collets (Material Master cross index issues in AMZ's ERP system with Gearwrench part numbers overlapping Jacobs part numbers after a merger). I solved the issues for them (30 years of ERP IT work come in handy sometimes), but they never would take back all the collet sets they rained down on me. My darex sharpeners are fine but the price of those big collets is more than the whole Chinese 13A/B units cost.

In theory, the 13B "master collets" could have gone up to 15mm or more from what I could see. Plus, some shop made tiny right angle plates with a hole in them could be used as "shoes" for the master collets to put tools and drills on my cup grinder or other wheels. This would be good for quick grinding down to an angle.
It did seem that way didn't it? When I was 20 all the people who had taken their time to bring me up properly and mentor me were still around and at the time I thought they always would be. It isn't that I was so naive as to believe they would live forever as much as it was a refusal to accept that they could not. At 60+ I look around and I am the elder telling my children to prepare for I will not be around forever and I see the same denial. So many people I miss, so many memories I have.

Sorry guy just thoughts...

It did seem that way didn't it? When I was 20 all the people who had taken their time to bring me up properly and mentor me were still around and at the time I thought they always would be. It isn't that I was so naive as to believe they would live forever as much as it was a refusal to accept that they could not. At 60+ I look around and I am the elder telling my children to prepare for I will not be around forever and I see the same denial. So many people I miss, so many memories I have.

Sorry guy just thoughts...
Same with my son, I am trying to get him to understand that, and I want to pass on my tools and stuff, and give him a run down on what I have and see what he is interested in, so I can make sure it's there. He keeps saying your not dying .. I am slowly, every day I get older.. But they don't realize the end can happen anytime.

Same with my son, I am trying to get him to understand that, and I want to pass on my tools and stuff, and give him a run down on what I have and see what he is interested in, so I can make sure it's there. He keeps saying your not dying .. I am slowly, every day I get older.. But they don't realize the end can happen anytime.
And, to anyone. Denying it will not stop it from happening either. We are all headed to death, fact of life. Kind of an insight to the way these people think. It is about being truthful to yourself. A lot of people struggle with that and not just death. For me, being truthful to myself helps me maintain a happy sane life. It keeps the priorities in perspective. Have a great day everyone. :encourage:

I appreciate all of the kind (and realistic) comments. I did not intend to be morose, but I am of the age where I can see backwards and forwards now. I'm plotting a tool set for my grandson to try as pass on the things and I DID get. Basic hand tools - maybe a frame saw integrated into a tool tote.

As for Mr Pete222, I just watched his "giant plaster drill" video and thought that a teaching aid like that would have helped me out in learning to sharpen a twist drill. My grandfather sharpened them free hand and did it so fast and so easy that what I learned was: I cannot do that.

Back