Bridgeport paint color

This thread is ten years old.

Don't worry, It's happened to all of us! :p

One site I am on has a thread that has been going for at least a decade with thousands of post.
It is actually pretty cool.....

I have been cleaning mine up to get it ready to paint. Using an angle grinder and cup brush. Have worked 3 sessions and the paint dust makes me sick every time. Short sessions before, but today I did about 1 1/2 hrs with a paint mask and it was still bad. Did not mean to do a full strip but a lot of flaking off layers. Probably 3-4 gallons of paint dust on the floor to sweep and vacuum. And one pound on me.

Get the 3 pack of grill cleaner from Sam's club.

It is spray on oven cleaner, works will on paint.

Take it down to base then build up with rust-olium smoke gray.

Lowes and home depot both sell it, but different formula.

Get the one that thins with acetone.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have been cleaning mine up to get it ready to paint. Using an angle grinder and cup brush. Have worked 3 sessions and the paint dust makes me sick every time. Short sessions before, but today I did about 1 1/2 hrs with a paint mask and it was still bad. Did not mean to do a full strip but a lot of flaking off layers. Probably 3-4 gallons of paint dust on the floor to sweep and vacuum. And one pound on me.
Dave, I didn't get that carried away when I did my Bridgeport. I only sanded and smoothed a little and then just put on new paint. Be sure to use hardener in oil based enamel paint. Problem is, once you are back in operation, the lube oil will quickly stain it all over again. Personally, I wouldn't work too hard at it. Just a fresh paint job will clean it up a lot. Good luck and post photos of your project.

Yeah, I don't have a museum, just a shop. I don't care about restoration, its just working out pretty well and I want it to at least look clean. I have not painted the old lathe yet. Not excited about painting something till it functions correctly. That's an old auction trick. So many people are fooled by new paint. Its like wearing a 3 piece suit with dirty underwear underneath.

Back