Will this work as a lathe motor?

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
I'm in the middle of mocking up my 618/101. Got the motor mounted and link belt hooked up. Turned the motor on and it twitched back and forth, then hummed, then poofed out. It's dead. But I'll get into that later.

Today I went and bought a 3/4 hp Craftsman bench grinder from a guy and he threw in this 1/3 hp motor for $10. Is only a 1/2 shaft but I couldn't pass for $10,,,,lol. I got the chuck and leather disc included. If this is the correct style motor I'll come up with an adapter to fit my 5/8 pulley.

I couldn't find any info on this. Does it need to be a start capacitor motor? I have no idea what this is. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    741.9 KB · Views: 17
Should work fine- it looks like a split-phase motor they don't use start caps. They have less starting torque but once up to speed
they develop full power.
When the lathe belts are set for the highest spindle speed the motor may have a harder time getting up to speed compared to a capacitor start motor- it may or may not, you'll just have to try it

Last edited:
Cal, just some info, if no help, no worries. I keep my eye out for old Craftsman 10" table saws. Often can be had for < $50, one I got for free. The motors are reversible and easily serviced.

The cast iron tables can be used for a brazing/welding table, a grinder table, a base for a small lathe or mill, and if regular surface plate isn't available, they tend to be reasonably flat. Though what's better is to visit the back office of a stone countertop place & ask to salvage a sink cut-out from the dumpster. I have three bolted together on two stands for my grinders & cold saw. One came with stamped steel wings rather than the older cast ones. The have made great shelves by the lathe and mill for magnetic bases, hex keys, etc. I put some Unistrut across the front and made holders for my QCTP tool holders. I do advise not putting them directly behind the lathe, off set from the tail stock, so you are not tempted to reach over a spinning piece of work.

Cal, just some info, if no help, no worries. I keep my eye out for old Craftsman 10" table saws. Often can be had for < $50, one I got for free. The motors are reversible and easily serviced.

The cast iron tables can be used for a brazing/welding table, a grinder table, a base for a small lathe or mill, and if regular surface plate isn't available, they tend to be reasonably flat. Though what's better is to visit the back office of a stone countertop place & ask to salvage a sink cut-out from the dumpster. I have three bolted together on two stands for my grinders & cold saw. One came with stamped steel wings rather than the older cast ones. The have made great shelves by the lathe and mill for magnetic bases, hex keys, etc. I put some Unistrut across the front and made holders for my QCTP tool holders. I do advise not putting them directly behind the lathe, off set from the tail stock, so you are not tempted to reach over a spinning piece of work.
I have a 1hp table saw motor but it's 3450 rpm so it won't work will it? I need to keep things at 1750 rpm, right?

I'm way ahead of you on up cycling a table saw,,,lol. I did indeed make a welding table out of one. I even mounted it to a portable miter saw stand. It just folds up and stands in a comer until needed. Or it can be rolled out and loaded on the truck. I went even farther and used the housing to make a stand for my portable band saw. It turned out great.

Here's a video of the build. You can watch just the first 30 seconds to see what it is.

Correct, you want 1750, space dependent you could slow it down with a jack shaft. Nice project. I'm surprised that vintage of table saw had that speed motor. Still learning. Just throwing numbers in the calculator, a 25 & 55mm pulley will get you pretty close, 1705. You would probably have to shop around to see what off the shelf pulley diameters will work. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pulley-diameters-speeds-d_1620.html
Just noted where you live. I was stationed at Scott AFB '93 - '95.

If you need a 3/4 horse Delta , I've got one here . FREE + shipping . :grin: I don't know what you're restoring but I was going to run it up to Cabin Fever in Jan or the scrap place .

Attachments

• IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 5
If you need a 3/4 horse Delta , I've got one here . FREE + shipping . :grin: I don't know what you're restoring but I was going to run it up to Cabin Fever in Jan or the scrap place .
That's a very kind off. You've got my attention.,,,,lol.

Does it run and is it reversible? I assume one that big has a 5/8'' shaft?

Would this be too much motor for a 6'' 101/618 craftsman lathe? Or I guess I could put this motor on my 10'' Atlas, and take the 1/3hp Sears motor of it and put on my Craftsman lathe that I need a motor for.

I'll send you a pm. Thanks.

Half of my ex-coworkers are from St. Louie Cal . I'm in touch with them daily , they come and go from Md to home . I can't tell you a thing about the motor other than it runs and I don't need it . The scrap yard gives me 18 cents a lb for motors and I spend $40 in diesel getting there and back .

Half of my ex-coworkers are from St. Louie Cal . I'm in touch with them daily , they come and go from Md to home . I can't tell you a thing about the motor other than it runs and I don't need it . The scrap yard gives me 18 cents a lb for motors and I spend $40 in diesel getting there and back .
Well next time one is around send the motor home with them,,,lol. If I don't use it on this I can for sure use it on my Delta drill press that's been on hold for needing a motor. It was originally a 3 phase. So this would get it going.

Thanks

Back