Why Millions of Smoke Alarms Can’t Catch Modern Fires

Jeff.64

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just saw this.

I knew about Americium being used in smoke detectors decades ago from reading about the Radioactive Boy Scout, newer article: https://allthatsinteresting.com/david-hahn The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments was a library favorite of mine as well in 4th and 5th grade. As was making my own pyrotechnics. I can relate to his story and interests. I was lucky. No physical damage from doing stupid stuff.

I did not know about photoelectric type smoke detectors or the lack of detection with the ionization types. Maybe everyone does. But just in case there is someone who is naive like me, this could help.

This is very interesting. First of all, I had no idea how a smoke alarm worked.
I guess we all get to replace our smoke alarms to the new and improved design.
Let’s see, bedrooms, hall, living room……6 alarms!!
That should do it if they work right.

I've just found out that the state of Massachusetts fire code requires wired photoelectric smoke detectors to sell a house. I'm settling my Mom's estate and found out that the house has to be inspected and approved by the fire Marshal for smoke detectors prior to closing. One more thing to clear up.

We have fairly new smoke detectors. The wood stove will sometimes fill the house with smoke and not set off the detectors. Get a little smoke from cooking and they go off.

I jut spent a fortune on smoke/CO detectors for multiple houses! I am sure they are immediately outdated. I predict the 9th generation is going to have both ionization and photoelectric detectors in the same box. The device will use data from both to figure out when to alarm. The combo detectors are now $75 each. At some point it will be cheaper to have a fire.

For the price of one smoke detector you can buy a lot of Red Vines.
You can see where my priorities lie. Right over in the candy aisle.

Last edited:
I've just found out that the state of Massachusetts fire code requires wired photoelectric smoke detectors to sell a house. I'm settling my Mom's estate and found out that the house has to be inspected and approved by the fire Marshal for smoke detectors prior to closing. One more thing to clear up.
Good intentions become tyranny, Government should not be in the business of protecting us from ourselves......

Good intentions become tyranny, Government should not be in the business of protecting us from ourselves......
I won't argue with you about that. Nonetheless, I need to pass the inspection or the state can block the transfer until the property complies.

I won't argue with you about that. Nonetheless, I need to pass the inspection or the state can block the transfer until the property complies.
There are many things that we must do but I do not have to agree with them nor like them.

Back