Who has big tooling ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
No , not what you're thinking . :eek: Big tool posts , holders and large insert tools is what I had in mind .

Big lathe means big tools! My workhorses are 3/4" ground HSS. The few insert holders I use are 1". I have FIMS #4 toolposts, so the standard capacity is 1". I have a few bits that I rotate in that are 1/2", but I need to use two of them in the tool holder. Grinding a new tool from a blank is a task, but the payoff is having a high heat capacity in the tool bit. It takes a lot more heat to make the tool hot, so the HSS stays razor sharp through the cut. Contrary to logic, big tooling still fits small work, but internal cuts mean using a proper boring bar for tool clearance. My small chucks are 12", so anything under 1" goes in a flex collet. From 1" up, the Bisons are the sweet lips, they grip and center oh so fine. Who's with me? Go big. Can I get a witness?

I guess you need to define “big”. CCE or HAL big, Abomb big (in the old days), or DXA big. All relative.

I have FIMS #4 toolposts,
Did you end up with my FIMS ?
Me. Remember you sold me your DA stuff. :eagerness:
I know that . I just told Pontiac in a PM that you bought the DA Aloris and holders some time back .

I asking because I'm finding BIG tools down the other basement . Wondering if they're worth posting on here or the Bay .

Back